Grease the Groove - recommended daily repetitions

Hey, a question to all the people here training using Grease the Groove technique (i.e, performing a difficult exercise like one-arm pushups sporadically multiple times throughout day): How many daily repetitions do you think are needed?

Right now, I practice the one arm pushup, front lever, and L-sit, performing 5 daily repetitions of each exercise, 6 days a week (that is, 5 one-arm pushups, 5 front levers, 5 L-sits). Do you think this is enough? I'm not improving very fast, but on the other hand I don't want to overtrain.

Very low volume you should aim to get about 20 to 30 reps throughout the day if you want to see some real results.

And just out of curiosity what's your max on those exercises ??

Listen to your body ... 5 reps per day isn't really going to do much, and it certainly isn't going to lead to over training. Experiment a bit more, see how much volume your body suits best.

I've never actually tried the Grease the Groove thing properly, but that is how I would train back when I learned to do pull-ups. I would grab a ledge and do a few pull-ups (or attempted ones, i was weak back then lol) whenever i went up or down the stairs ... That gave me amazing results, and pull-ups became one of my strengths. So yeah definitely up the volume, I was doing like 30 or so reps of pull-ups each day in total I'd say. But always listen to your body, that's more important than choosing specific numbers.

Oh yeah, and one more thing - make sure you get balance in those exercises, like do equal amount of pushing and pulling, and don't forget legs - Do pistol squats or something as well.

Back