Got milk?

allcdnboy1

"Got milk? Overweight kids may need it" ...

A study finds that despite the calories, youngsters who have dairy food regularly seem to lower their risk of becoming overweight.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/diet.fitness/03/05/overweight.kids.ap/index.html

The study states that 15% of US's young people or overweight ... double that of 2 decades ago. What do you think the cause is? TV, video games, diet, lack of physical activity?

My dad was actually giving me one of those "when I was a kid" stories. He said that whenever he wanted to hang out with his friends, that he would just go outside as they were always out playing on the street or in their yards. Now, many kids run to the computer (much as we are doing now) to 'hang-out' with their friends.

I definately don't believe this is the only reason. I don't like how schools are now not forcing kids to take physical education (gym class), but they WILL force them to take math. Now, many will argue that math is much more useful than P.E. ... now, this may be true, but I think P.E. will benefit the person 20x more than math in their daily lives. Many use the excuse that they just aren't good at it ... SO!?! that's why it's there. Not everyone is good at math, but you still have to take it.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think P.E. is very important and should be a part of school and there should be no excuse for it. I wasn't an ace in sports but I still enjoyed it. IMO school sports is even more important now, due to the unfortunate fact that kids can't just go outside an play whereever anymore...there's too many 'sick' people out there and the kids have to be much more supervised. You can't even afford to have them go to a friends house on their own, you basically have to drive them to be safe. I still remember when I was a kid, we were out all afternoon and had to be home at dusk - my parents knew where approximately we played but that was a big area and there were no adults around to supervise. It wasn't necessary and gave us much more freedom and EXERCISE. There was no messenger and phone calls were restricted, so you had to walk or bike to meet.
So, now the kids don't get this kind of exercise so they basically have to join a sportsteam to be active and if you're not good, you probably won't join. Therefore I think P.E. is more important than ever. It also helps when the parents are really active, but lets face it, when both parents are working, often the dinners are Pizza and Fast Food and there is not much time for family activities, at least not during the week.

Now that was longer then I thought it would be, but this is a really hot topic for me...

Back