Good Reads

Have fun... it's nothing earth shattering for the most part... actually sounds a lot like me and my 'preachings' around the forum. Did you see my suggestion above about reverse crunches?

Good thing I'm a fan of your preachings. Reverse crunches are already in the routine so should I just nix the reg crunches or look for something else to substitute with?

I'd nix... no point in doing them if they hurt you and assuming your doing flexion (front to back and side to side), rotation, and stabilization.... it's all good. Mind you, not all of those movement patterns have to be worked in the same session. I usually pick one or two movements to perform each time I train the core.

I'd nix... no point in doing them if they hurt you and assuming your doing flexion (front to back and side to side), rotation, and stabilization.... it's all good. Mind you, not all of those movement patterns have to be worked in the same session. I usually pick one or two movements to perform each time I train the core.

ah well good thing I'm starting pilates and yoga.....couldn't resist....

Interesting little read:

Article by Mike Boyle:

Why (Most) Women Shouldn't Run

The answer is a word that starts with P and ends with S and is not "plastics."
By Michael Boyle

I really like Diane Lee's quote, "You can't run to get fit, you need to be fit to run." In fact, I've used it in numerous presentations and articles. It really resonates with me. Simple, to the point.

I'm going to take the idea one step further. I'm not sure most women should run. When I say this in seminars, it really pisses off the female runners.
Sorry, I'm not worried about you; I'm worried about all the other women. If you are a runner and healthy, read on, but realize that you are the exception, not the rule.

I'm going to go from bad to worse. Here's a riddle for you.

Q- What do most female runners look like?

A- Male runners.

Ever ask yourself why? I'm going to let you in on a little secret.
Women who run successfully for long periods of time were made to run.
They look just like men runners. Good female runners generally do not look like plus-size models.

It's not a question of cause and effect; it's a question of natural selection.
You can't run to get that cute little runner's body. It's actually reversed. You have to have that cute little runner's body to survive running.

Why do I say this? Two simple reasons. Anatomy and physics. My favorite two sciences. No matter how hard you try or how well you eat, you can't change your skeleton.

The problem with most women and running comes down to something they call Q angle in sports medicine. I won't bore you with the details, but it boils down to this. Wider hips make for narrow knees. This angle of hip to knee creates problems. Problems are magnified based on the number of steps.
The average person gets about 1500 foot strikes per mile. Do the math on your 5-mile run. Running produces forces in the area of two to five times bodyweight per foot contact. Do we need more math?

Let's go back to our elite female runner. Look at her body. You will generally see two things. She has narrow hips and she has small breasts. I know, there may be exceptions, but at the elite level, I doubt it.

One thought process would say, Great, my hips and breasts will decrease in size if I run. The other thought process is more logical.

Women with larger breasts and wider hips don't make good runners. It is the same logic as why there are no large gymnasts or figure skaters. Physics. Big people rotate slower. Natural selection rules it out.

So what happens when a "normal" woman begins to run? She becomes a statistic. She becomes a physical-therapy client as she tries to shovel you-know-what against the tide. Her wider hips cause her to develop foot problems or most likely knee problems. Her greater body weight causes greater ground reaction forces. Greater ground reaction forces stress muscle tissue and breast tissue. Get my drift yet? The end result is likely to be hurt and saggy instead of the cute and little.

The bottom line: Running is not good for most females. If you want higher-intensity exercise, ride a stationary bike. Take a spin class, use a stairclimber, and don't run.

PS- The best stuff is the hard stuff. Use the AirDyne Bike or the StepMill. Don't take the easy way out.

that was mildly depressing....eh you get to that point where you're sick of your body determining your fate in some areas....I swear everyime I see the term Q angle I get angry lol

I don't know how much I buy into the article to be honest... I've seen a lot of women with 'curves' who run and they don't complain of injury or pain.

However, I also know a lof of curvy women who run a lot and do have pain... some to the point of knee and foot surgery.

Meh, it's not the most educational article I've come across.... I simply found it interesting.

And if you keep reading these articles I post, you're going to end up smarter than me. I can't have that!

I love how everyone has different definitions of curvy...so I'm kind of curious as to what yours is.

It's an interesting theory and oddly enough my knee dr said running is part of what brought me to this point. I used to run all the time before the serious problems kicked in.

I love how everyone has different definitions of curvy...so I'm kind of curious as to what yours is.

It's an interesting theory and oddly enough my knee dr said running is part of what brought me to this point. I used to run all the time before the serious problems kicked in.

Curvy for me.

Hmmm.....

Really I'm not a boob man. I mean, I don't like real little boobs but certainly don't drool over huge boobs.

I like curves in the hips, thighs, and booty.

And I like a softer look to a woman. I don't like a woman lean with rippling abs.... though I respect those who reach that level of definition.

Hard to explain I suppose.

Curvy for me.

Hmmm.....

Really I'm not a boob man. I mean, I don't like real little boobs but certainly don't drool over huge boobs.

I like curves in the hips, thighs, and booty.

And I like a softer look to a woman. I don't like a woman lean with rippling abs.... though I respect those who reach that level of definition.

Hard to explain I suppose.

oh my god Steve you're human! You totally just sounded like a guy lol love it

I must agree though on the softer look for a woman....I'm pretty modern but at the end of the day what makes a woman a woman is pretty amazing

Thats interesting. My wife keeps complaining about nagging pain in her feet/legs/knees. I keep telling her to suck it up, her body will get used to it. She is definitely curvy though so maybe she isnt meant to run? I may research that a little further.

I enjoyed this response to a question by Jonathan Fass in his blog. Jonathan used to post here briefly and is a very knowledgeable guy!

Steve you're killing me with the constant your knee sucks reminders

Back