GI diet

losinit4real

Hi there,
I just joined the forum today and was wondering, is there anyone out there that is doing the glycemic index diet? I just finished my 1st week and i lost 6 lbs! I wasn't hungry, and i felt good the whole time. I just joined a gym and i really feel like this is it this time! i have tried so many times but i guess it is your mindset that makes the difference. I feel more motivated than ever. I realize that i may not always feel so motivated, so i joined this forum. I have 100 lbs to lose so I have a long road ahead of me. ;)
Jenn

lucky you

i have tried that one and got no results

good luck

what is the diet?

Never heard of it but am interested:)

Redneck Woman,
The GI diet is based on the glycemic index. Foods with a high glycemic value make your blood sugar spike and then drop fast, so you feel hungry sooner. On the GI diet, you can eat "good" carbs but stay away from "bad" carbs and saturated fat. It tells you to eat every two-three hours and make sure you get enough protein. There are some books that have lists divided into red, yellow, and green light foods. You can basically have anything you want on the green list, a little on the yellow list, and avoid the red. But many have only followed it about 90% and still had success. Such as eating off the green list most of the day, but including something on the red list with dinner.

If you want to get more information about it, I would say check with your local library to see if they have books (such as The GI Diet and Living the GI Diet, both by Gallop) on it before you purchase something you may not like.

I am following it somewhat. I have cut out white bread and only eat whole grain. Only eat whole grain cereals. But after reading a couple of books and articles about it, I just sort of incorporated some changes, and I don't keep looking at what the glycemic index value is or which list it is on. It does seem to help keep you from being hungry as soon after eating.

have not tried it! but i had some peas the other day and noticed a short while later i felt ravenous! so i must stay away from peas...also i cannot remember the last time i have had a slice of bread, i have been using whole grain pitas for my boca burgers. <<<those have lots of protein :)

i'm on the low GI diet - i started just over a month ago. i started off with the montignac method which doesn't give actual daily plans. i don't like anything to be too restrictive. i've basically stopped eating any processed food, and i eat 2 slices of (wholemeal) bread a day at the most, often not any. i eat a lot of fish too, which is lovely. heaps of vegies and lots of legumes.

i started it for two reasons - firstly i wanted to make an effort to prevent contracting diabetes as its in my family. i came to realise the terrible effect eating so much sugar was having on my moods as well, so that was part of it. the second reason is to lose weight (i've lost 3.5 kgs in five weeks) but its quite slow.

i am starting to notice the effects of the diet. i'm not as grumpy or moody as before (yay) and i'm feeling really good generally. its nice to take care of yourself - i've never done it before. i eat lovely food - i have a food diary on this site if you'd like any ideas.

:)

oh, i forgot - for me this is a permanent plan, i intend to continue this way of eating forever.

another good resource i have is the 'CSIRO total wellbeing' book. Its written by Australia's Science and Research organisation. sold out in about five minutes (they are very well respected) so i had to wait for the second pressing to get mine. it follows the low GI and GL principles and is for life. full of great recipes and ideas.

My sister is on it and has lost 6kg. I'd never heard of it before but from reading this thread it seems like its good. Might have to give it a go ;)

HMMMM IT SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD MAY TRY IT ONE DAY NEXT YEAR! hAVE TO START THE BIGGEST LOSER DIET PLAN AT THE FIRST OF THE YEAR SO IF I DONT GET RESULTS MAY TRY THIS ONE! THNKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO

My husband and I have decided to give it a go. We are starting the Low GI Diet 12 week action plan (this is an australian version) I've got about 10kg to lose and he has about 20 - 30kg I think, not sure. We will see what happens, we are going to start after I go grocery shopping. We have started walking, so that is good.

Oh crap....i just ate a whole bunch of peas...just my luck lol oopsies :eek:

Back