Gastric ByPass

Richard41

I had the surgery April 2001 at a weight of 361 pounds on six feet height. I moved like a slug and knew it was either surgery or a funeral. Had problems right after surgery, all organs shut down, but they pulled me through. By Christmas of 2001 I was weighing near 190. My problem is, I cannot eat meat, yet I grew up eating steak sometimes three times a day. On the Idaho farm we butchered our own beef and such, but since my surgery, I throw up after I eat most meats. I can eat chichen in a salad, or a small hamburger with lots of lettuce and tomato, pasta with meat but not a lot of any of these. But straight meat won't stay down. I can tell the instant a food goes into my mouth whether I will keep it down or throw it up. My biggest problem is that I have regained 100 of those lost pounds, and that is because I can eat almost anything that is sweet. I'm just wondering if there is a certain nerve or something that could function to make me hate sweet and love meat. I know this sounds weird, but trying to lose the 100 is accenting my depression and I truly hate myself. I hated how I looked after all that weight loss because all I had was bags of loose skin hanging on me. Sometimes I'm sure my wife wishes I hadn't made it through the surgery. I'm at a crossroad and not sure if I want to go forward, back, left or right.

this post just makes me sad - but it's not all uncommon in people who've had gastric bypasses... Somewhere on this forum there was discussion of an Oprah episode that discussed how many people gain the weight back after a GB because the original problem that caused them to gain all that weight, wasn't resolved...

Is there any kind of post surgery support group you can join - to help you resolve some of what you're going thru? I know you aren't alone...

I think your wrong about your wife....I'm sure she doesn't feel that way. Honest to God, I KNOW they have support groups for after-care bypass patients. At the hospital where I did my clinicals, they had several support groups. I'm so sorry about your weight re-gain...but ya know, your not alone. A bagillion folks regain some of the weight.
If sweets are going down easier, then choose sugar free. Like ya know those sugar free cookies...Murrays and Estee...???? Dunno where ya live but thats what we have here.
Please dont give up on yourself. Get active. Do something outside.
If anything, get mad at yourself...not depressed. Get mad enuff to do something about it.....thats what I did....I just got pissed and disgusted and said NO MORE. I got off my butt and started running on my dusty tredmill in the basement ;-)
Just dont give up.....please.

Back