Gastric Balloon: My Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess23

Today is day 3 with the balloon and I am not feeling as sick as I thought I would. I have stayed in bed for the past 2 days and have slept off the swelling. Although I am very uncomfortable and fear this discomfort will not go away (I feel like the balloon in constantly moving around which is causing my stomach to crap). Fortunately this discomfort is bearable and I plan to return to work tomorrow I am feeling very positive this is exactly what I need to help me loose the weight.
On the other hand the thought of not being able to eat proper food the next two weeks frightens me. I struggle to stomach protein shakes on good days without the balloon so the next two weeks are going to be a challenge.
So far all I have had is water and apple juice and have sucked on hard boiled lollies to help with the bad taste.
Starting Weight: 92kg

Jess, Australia.

So it has been a week since insertion of the balloon. I havent had any vomiting or nausea but I have been having severe cramping so intense I cant stand up straight. I hope this is a part of the process. I attempted to stick to a liquid diet but felt that the cramping was due to hunger so I started eating solid foods and felt a whole lot better for the first few days, but the cramping is back and just as bad so it will be soup for lunch today.
From reading this forum I am a little worried that perhaps the balloon isnt the right thing for me as I havent been experiencing the same reaction as most of you or the same weight loss. As it has only been one week and my followup isnt for a few days I am just going to see what happens.
I plan to attempt the gym next week so hopefully that will help boost my weight loss. I am trying to keep positive and work my hardest over the next 6 months to loose as much as I can.
Weight: 91.2 Kg

Hi Jess23! How did you find going back to work? I see that most people take a full week off before getting back at it and it sounds like you went back in 3 days? Do you find it unbearable or more so uncomfortable? I am going to get my balloon fitted in July, just waiting for the date, so I am very interested in everyone's experience. There are a couple other threads on here that people who are at the same stage of you are posting information. You might find asking them some questions helpful - here is one of them - I hope it helps http://weight-loss.fitness.com/surgical-weight-loss/8093-gastric-balloon-65.html

Good luck!!

Hi mizzminna! Thanks for your post. The first day back at work was a struggle and I ended up having to leave early, I should have given myself that extra day because after that I was fine. I found it to be more uncomfortable but bearable.
Today I am feeling great!! I just had my first followup with the surgeon and discovered that my cramping is normal and not hunger pains but my body trying to digest the balloon. I had a great sleep last night and can no longer feel the balloon in my stomach. I am excited to get back to my exercise routine and start seeing results. Be sure to keep me posted on your experience!!

So it has been just over a month and I have to say with great dissapointment I have not lost any weight. I am very disheartened and dont understand why this isnt working. I have cut down on food portion dramatically. Although, I have been very slack on exercise I dont understand how I could have lost so little. From reading other posts it appears the weight is just falling off other people. Is this just a slow start?? Has anyone experienced the same thing??
Weight: 90.4kg

I have been to see my surgeon and I am pleased to report that I have lost a little bit more weight. I am so happy with this as I have been lacking motivation due to loosing weight so slow. I have been going to the gym and working hard with my personal trainer to hopefully have a great result at the end of this week.
Weight: 88.7kg

So, its been a while since I have posted anything because I am upset with how things are going. I am now in my 19th week and have lost 10kgs. I am dissapointed because I still have 15kg to go and havnt lost anything in the past 4 weeks. To make things worse the more upset I get the worse my diet becomes I am just lucky that I exercise alot or I would probably be gaining weight. I am trapped in a vicious circle. I dont even feel the balloon. I have had minimal side effects and my portion size of food really isnt that much smaller. I dont understand why its not working. Has anyone had a smiliar experience or know someone who has had a similiar experience. I dont know what to do......

PLEASE HELP!!!

i know you posted this sometime ago but if you do still read your posts, was wondered how you are getting on.

My sister in law had this op and she could only eat a few spoonfuls of mash or yogurt and feel full. Did they tighten the band up enough because no way should you of been able to eat similar portions to what you had before.

Slowly her band stretched over the year and she was able to eat more food, when she lost the weight, she found she could then eat larger portions, has her band was done on the NHS in the UK they wouldn't tighten it back up. They said she had lost the weight there job was done and it was now up to her to maintain the weight, she is piling the weight back on as fast as she lost it. So she said its not a quick fix, she can't stop herself eating loads of food everyday. Around 4000 cals per day. I think in the last 6 months she has gained about 4 stone (56 lbs). The band is still inside her and she will have to go private to get the band retightened back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back