Weight-Loss GAINED 3 pounds this week - can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Weight-Loss

SnakeBaby

Hey, I'm new here so not quite sure how this works yet! If this is the wrong place to post or I'm messing up in some other way please let me know, haha.

After gaining 65 pounds in the last 2 years (over half of that in quarantine, yikes), I decided at the beginning of January I needed to make a change. I'm 24F, 5'8", and currently 210.2lbs as of today, the most I've ever weighed in my life. I weigh myself every day at the advice of my doctor as I have hormonal issues that make weighing less often rather inaccurate. I also have a history of disordered eating so I do have to be quite careful with how I approach calorie restriction.

My issue is this - I started eating at a 750 calorie deficit on January 4. I was losing about 1 pound a week since then, weighed myself throughout last week and was at an average of 206lbs. Then I wake up today and the scale reads 210.2, which is higher than when I started! My cycle just ended and historically this should be the point of the month where I weigh the least, not the most. I'm incredibly frustrated and really not sure what to do. I know it's likely just a fluctuation but it feels like I've made no progress at all over the past 4 weeks. Does anyone have any advice for me? I eat healthy (always have - gained weight simply because I was eating too much), eat at a deficit of at least 500 calories per day, drink 2L of water per day, walk a minimum of 10,000 steps per day, and weight train 5 times per week. I'm at a loss and really not sure what to do from here.

Your doctor likely didn´t tell you to weigh every day for nothing: if they hadn´t expected fluctuations once a week would´ve been plenty. So while I understand your frustration I don´t think it´s a "real" gain. It takes around 3500 kcal to gain a pound of fat: no way you managed to do three times that in a day! It´s likely just water weight, either from sodium or from sore muscles.

I agree with LaMa, in the short term your weight will fluctuate a lot, give it time. If you are really in a calorie deficit you will lose weight but only in the longer term trend. I find weighing every day has helped me understand that better.

Back