Full body teen workout plan?

Hey, my name is matt and here’s some background info about me…

I’m 15, weighing in around 128-130 lbs. and 5’7. I just started working out 8 months ago, and now I’m ready for a semi-intense full body workout plan that I can keep maintained for at least a few months. So here we go :p

I work out at school (Weight Training) and at home (Community Gym) and this is my kind of “schedule” I’ve made and was wondering if I am overtraining, not doing enough, or doing something wrong, or any advice from a more experienced person would be great, really.

Monday---------Reg bench, inclined, declined, tricep pushdown rope, bench dips, pushups, and butterflys
Tuesday---------EZ bar curls, hammer curls, reg curls, pullups, lat pulldown, dumbbell shrugs, delt raises
Weds------------Squats, leg extensions, leg press, calf raises
Thurs------------Monday repeat
Friday-----------Tuesday repeat
Sat---------------Leg extensions, calf raises
Sun--------------Pushups, butterflys

I also am running 1 mile each day, (except Thursday and Sunday because that is my leg recovery days) and declined sit ups after.( Don’t tell me that im not running enough because I have asthma and 1 mile is about all I can do right now without blowing up)

As far as eating, I’m not being too strict, just staying away from snacks and drinking water 90% of the time.

My Goals are to just get bigger in general (enough to notice a lot,) see my weights go up and get a six pack.

So just respond with any advice, tips, anything I’m doing wrong or should change, add into my workout..etc
Thanks,
Matt

You're doing a mirror-muscle routine. It's not overtraining, but that doesn't mean it's good. Here are just a few things that would improve your program markedly.

1) Your program should be based around the compound lifts: squats, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press, rows and pull ups/downs. You're missing half of those exercises.

2) The compound lifts go first. You're doing 3 biceps exercises before you start on your back. Back first, then biceps on their own if they need it.

3) You don't need 3 different biceps exercises.

4) Antagonist muscles need to be worked. For every chest exercise, you need something for your rear delts and scapular retractors (the muscles that pull your shoulder blades together and down). For every quadricep exercise, you need something for your hamstrings. For every biceps exercise, you need something for your triceps. If anything, the muscles that you don't get to see in the mirror probably need more work than the ones you get to look at and enjoy. Failure to balance out youur programming so that the whole body gets worked proportionally will lead to injuries and making you look like you never passed the third grade.

ETA: To get bigger, you'll need to consume a surplus of calories, with plenty of your food coming from protein. With the goal of getting bigger, there's no need to run at all, so you definitely won't get the critique from me that you're not running enough. A few months ago, I jogged for a whole 10min straight. Most running I've done in one go since 2008. Not kidding. This isn't to say that you shouldn't be running -- and I imagine that it's probably good for making your lungs a bit more useful -- but for the goals you've stated, it isn't at all necessary. As you build muscle and gain weight, eventually you'll put on some fat, which will mask your abs. This is why more advanced lifters go through bulk/cut phases: during the bulk they build muscle and accept gains in fat along with it; during the cut they do whatever they can to preserve the muscle they've built while getting rid of the fat. As novice, there's less need to worry about this, but if you find yourself getting a little pudgey and losing muscle definition, so long as you're getting stronger, don't panic about it.

Last edited:
The balance mentioned by Goldfish is easier with compound exercises. Leg extensions and leg curls will work thighs but nowhere near as well as a nice set of squats will work these and various other muscles.
Always aim for balance, there is little more ridiculous than a man with arms like he-man and legs like tweety pie, or incredible abs and terrible posture from not training his back.
Over-training body parts doesn’t make them grow faster, totally the opposite, and many fall foul of this. Classic example Bench Press done for chest (prime mover triceps), Shoulder Press done for shoulders (prime mover triceps), Incline Bench done for upper chest (seeing a pattern here), followed by some triceps work because can’t get their arms to grow.
Growth is best using the system, hit it hard, hit it fast, leave it alone. Most of us have got at least one part of this while chasing mass gains, at my worst I was doing all 3 wrong for a while. Anyone declaring they haven’t made errors, is likely lying at best or too stupid to realise they still are.

10 minutes jogging most in 4 years. Hmm, what to say to that. I know I'm openly crazy but I honestly wouldn't put on my running shoes for that one. Most of my running is commute, so just a little short of 5 miles each way, takes me around 35 minutes, but I am naturally good at running.
One of the guys from a running club I was in was seriously asthmatic and hated not being able to do intervals and some other forms of training the rest of us could. Asthma doesn't mean you can't run, it does however mean if you want to cover distance you need to take it very steady and build up slowly, and always have your inhaler in your hand. The guy I knew ran full and half marathons and always had water in one hand inhaler in the other, never needed the inhaler at a race but better have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
That said, there are plenty of other forms of cardio out there other than running and losing the impact means less stress on your breathing. I also cycle for commuting, and know for a fact my lungs feel more stressed from the run than the cycle, my body works just as hard, but my breathing is easier on a bike, and I'm not that good at cycling.
Important part with cardio is generally duration, there are exceptions but I wouldn’t advise them for an asthmatic. It’s better for your heart and lungs to run at 5mph for 2 or 3 miles than 8mph for 1. Alternatively it is better to be on a bike breathing freely for 20 minutes than running for 5 and struggling for air.
Cardio takes time and can become a tiresome chore so find something you enjoy or come armed with a music player.

Hey Matt - if I was your age I'd seriously consider adding Pilates mat routine to anything u do - most elite athletes include it in their conditioning program because few methods are so rigorous - it's the mat routine - something u can do anywhere and anytime without equipment or a gym - there are online sources for lessons.

CrazyOldMan and Goldfish just about covered it all. I can only mirror what they are telling you to do. Once you get past the "noobie gain" stage, you aren't going to be able to build muscle without gaining some fat. It just doesn't work like that. You can "clean bulk" with minimal fat gains, but that's a very strict system that you must adhere to every day. If you are running for a health aspect if it, then great, but if you are trying to put on muscle while doing this, you must eat the calories to make up for what you burn when running. I also wouldn't lift more than three days a week. Like the other guys said, get in, crush it and get out. The most important thing about muscle building is rest. People don't realize this. Muscles are built because your body needs to compensate for being under stress, so when you damage these muscles lifting, they need to rebuild, and they can't do that while you're working them every day.

Back