Frozen Lunch Entrees you make yourself

Little John

I started making these awhile ago when I lost interest in the other options for a mid-day meal at work:
  • Sandwiches take time to make in the morning, and never really satisfy
  • Frozen entrees (Lean Cuisine, etc) were high in sodium, and also never really satisfy
  • Cafeteria or going out to lunch gets expensive and high in calories

So I looked around for some pointers on making my own frozen entrees, and came up with this technique (not recipe), that's probably 15 minutes of actual work:
  1. Make 2 servings of a starch (I do rice or whole-grain pasta)
  2. Make 2 servings of a protein. Broiled/baked chicken, for example. Minimize the spices. You can also use canned beans.
  3. When the protein's done, cut up the protein into bite size chunks
  4. Evenly distribute the starch and proteins into 4-5 microwave safe containers (I usually use the 3 cup Rubbermade containers)
  5. Put the containers in the fridge for a couple hours (important to cool them before freezing them - something to do with big ice crystals, you can Google it if you don't believe me).
  6. Put sauce/salsa/etc on top. I have a variety of sauces on the counter and just randomly put it in the containers. Put a little cheese in, too, if you want, or some salt (I have some smoked salt that makes almost everything better)
  7. Fill the rest of the container with frozen veggies. Take your pick - mixed, mix yourself. I always like adding some frozen onions. I've been surprised at what's available in the fr. food aisle - brussels sprouts, lima beans, broccoli, green peppers, onions, okra. Not to mention how many varieties of mixed veggies there are.
  8. Close the lid, put 'em in the freezer.

In the morning, grab one, and you're out the door for $1-2 a meal that's going to be quite tasty and healthy (figure 300-400 cals per meal, depending on the protein choice and how much protein/starch goes in there). It'll zap up in 3-4 minutes.

Enjoy, and let me know what combos you've wound up with!

Great idea, thank you for sharing!

Back