From >450 to <160 lb by 2022

Awesome Err, seeing some muscle definition come through is definitely going to start making the journey even more addicting for you! Great to see... good job on the run too!

It's been a minute since I last checked in on your progress and damn boy! You're on fire! I'm still so inspired by your journey and just want you to know that your success serves as motivation to me and probably every one else who reads your diary. I just want to say congratulations on your achievements thus far between the incredible weight loss, the running, and everything else :) Keep up the fantastic work!!

I'm well beyond stage 1 and stage 2 seems very doable. If I'm able to advance 1 stage per week, I should be 250 lb right around the time I complete stage 12 so that'd be perfect...
That's great Err--yes and I would say to really try and follow their advice of not pushing too hard at any point in the program to try and just move up to the next level--you just risk injury that way. I think i even started with just 30 second jogging intervals first. Just take your time and enjoy it.

Stage 2 walk-to-run seems about right:

Stage 2
Walk for 4 minutes. Run for 1 minute.
Repeat that sequence four more times. End with 4 minutes of walking.
Total workout time: 29 minutes, 5 of which are running.

I'm not getting winded so I could run longer/farther from a cardio standpoint, but by the 5th 1-minute run I'm starting to feel some tightness in my shins...

That’s so cute about your dog cheering you on! Ah, lovely.

I really liked seeing the results from your scan and reading the analysis after. It is great to have all the stats laid out like that. It can make you a lot more focused.

Liza- you're supposed to stretch after walking? I've only been doing it before...

I didn't do any running yesterday because I wound up filling in a 150 foot long, 18" deep trench for a gas line. It had been left open for almost a year waiting on contractors, back-ordered parts for the generator, and the county to sign off on the permits - during which time the heaped fill dirt beside the trench compacted. So aside from the initial layer of sand, filling the trench was much harder work than expected, requiring a pick to loosen the fill dirt before shoveling it into the trench and tamping. The job, and the sun, just wore me out. I was even too tired to walk the dog this morning, but I suspect I'll be up to it tonight...

Belated Saturday progress report:

lbs ........ BF% ... calories
287.7 .. 42.5% .. 1428 ( averages from 5 weeks ago)
287.5 .. 41.8% .. 1412 (averages from 4 weeks ago)
284.7 .. 40.0% .. 1439 (averages from 3 weeks ago)
279.2 .. 39.3% .. 1483 (averages from 2 weeks ago)
277.6 .. 38.7% .. 1472 (averages from last week)

So I'm bouncing around my target 1% per week weight loss: last week I averaged a 0.6% weight loss (0.4% under target), the week prior I averaged 2.5% (0.5% over target), the week before that 3.4% (0.4% over target), and the week before that 3.5% (0.5% under target). I have been crushing my 0.5% weekly body fat loss target: 0.6% last week, 1.3% over 2 weeks, 3.1% over 3 weeks, and 3.8% over 4 weeks.

So no changes are planned for this week.

Well done on your new low, Err. What sort of dog do you have? Any chance of a pic?

This is Deogie, she's a whippet & a goofball (pictured pressing her nose against & licking the sliding glass door)

20150806_124132.jpg

Whippets are wonderful!

After all that dirtbreaking/shovelling I doubt you needed more exercise :eek:

Stretching before exercise isn't useful in many cases (and sometimes counterproductive) but stretching afterwards or on rest days may help, especially if you're working muscle groups that have a tendency to get stiff/sore like your tibialis anterior.

Wowsers- that's a big job. No wonder you were tired afterwards.
What an adorable, daggy dog! She looks such a character. Thanks for the pic. That really did put a great big smile on my dial :D

lol such a great dog pic!
iza- you're supposed to stretch after walking? I've only been doing it before...
Stretching before exercise isn't useful in many cases (and sometimes counterproductive) but stretching afterwards or on rest days may help, especially if you're working muscle groups that have a tendency to get stiff/sore like your tibialis anterior.
I have the same understanding as LaMa in regards to stretching before while the muscles aren't warmed up--often not a good idea. There are some good articles about stretching around a run by Runners World. If you do a search on it, you should find some good info..I make sure to stretch after a run but I'm certainly no expert on the subject :)

way to go on all your progress!

So i finally had some time to catch up on your diary. That progress is truly inspiring.

I had a good chuckle over the sewing machine thing. I do some sewing in my spare time and already had the plan to alter my own clothes..when the time comes.

Great job on the progress! (And cute dog :) )

lbs ........ BF% ... calories
287.7 .. 42.5% .. 1428 ( averages from 5 weeks ago)
287.5 .. 41.8% .. 1412 (averages from 4 weeks ago)
284.7 .. 40.0% .. 1439 (averages from 3 weeks ago)
279.2 .. 39.3% .. 1483 (averages from 2 weeks ago)
277.6 .. 38.7% .. 1472 (averages from last week)

Good stuff. Have you been tracking your BMR, and if it's dropped significantly since you've began? I was wondering if you have a target daily caloric deficit target? I've heard mixed reviews on metabolic adaptation, and was wondering if yours has dropped given you are on pretty low calories.

Good stuff. Have you been tracking your BMR, and if it's dropped significantly since you've began? I was wondering if you have a target daily caloric deficit target? I've heard mixed reviews on metabolic adaptation, and was wondering if yours has dropped given you are on pretty low calories.
Yeah, my metabolism has slowed beyond what the BMR formulas would have predicted based on weight loss alone. At 38, 5'7" 275lbs @ 38% BF they predict I should be burning ~3100 calories/day doing light exercise daily and I'm actually burning closer to 2850. If I am undercounting my calories at all (something even dieticians do when counting their own calories) that gap should narrow.

I weigh & measure everything I prepare - 90% of what I'm eating - and I try to be conservative when estimating calories in things others prepare (e.g. I assume they use a lot more butter, oil, salt, etc) so I think my calorie count should be pretty close. But I'm also cognizant of the fact humans consistently overestimate their abilities: a majority of people *think* they are above average when by definition only half can be so...

Basically I expect to have a more efficient metabolism for the rest of my life. Limiting the amount of metabolic adaptation is a large part of why I don't want to lose weight faster, but losing weight more slowly also means dealing with the negative health effects of obesity for a longer period of time. So I'm trying to find the middle ground with the least harm, but I know there will be downsides to whichever route I choose...

As I lose weight the downsides of remaining that current weight lessen so the need for rapid weight loss diminishes. So my pace will definitely slow this next year, having gone from about 5 lbs/week initially to under 3 pounds/week now and probably under 1 lb/week closer to the goal.

I really like your approach and your awareness, Err, in finding the healthiest way to lose the weight.

I think losing the weight slowly is a good plan. I wouldn't worry about being in the obese category for longer because if you are eating the right things and moving more, your body will start to heal and those risks will naturally diminish (even if not at your ideal weight). You are only going to see the positive health benefits from here on in.

As I lose weight the downsides of remaining that current weight lessen so the need for rapid weight loss diminishes. So my pace will definitely slow this next year, having gone from about 5 lbs/week initially to under 3 pounds/week now and probably under 1 lb/week closer to the goal.

Well thought out. I still haven't quite got a handle on my BMR, but I intend to try reverse dieting at the end of my own cut by adding 5% of calories onto my maintenance level week over week. I'll let you know how that goes.

I started Stage 2 last Saturday and have been eyeing Stage 3 the last couple days:
Stage 2
Walk for 4 minutes. Run for 1 minute.
Repeat that sequence four more times. End with 4 minutes of walking.
Total workout time: 29 minutes, 5 of which are running.

Stage 3
Walk for 4 minutes. Run for 2 minutes.
Repeat that sequence four more times. End with 3 minutes of walking.
Total workout time: 33 minutes, 10 of which are running.

I've been cheating and trying to add a little extra time to my 1-minute runs in preparation for them becoming 2-minute runs, but I'm starting to feel a little discomfort below my right knee so I'm cutting back down. It isn't bone/joint pain, nor is it muscle pain - it is some other dull discomfort that google leads me to believe is "runner's knee" - a swelling of the cartilage around the kneecap. The only other time I've felt it is when hiking downhill for long stretches - apparently also pretty common.

Treatment is less use, better form, and/or custom-fit shoes. I'm opting for the first 2 and it seems to be taking care of it. So not only am I focusing on keeping my upper body from bouncing while running, I'm now also focusing on keeping my legs & feet in good alignment. And the moment I start to feel my knee I drop back down to a walk...

This development may mean I have to delay moving into stage 3 even though I'm more than ready from a cardio standpoint. But the whole point of the walk-to-run plan is to make sure all of the body is ready for running so we'll listen to the aches and let my body dictate the schedule... I'm a little surprised though because in my youth my shins were always what started hurting first when running and so far they've been quiet...

Back