Weight-Loss Fresh food challenge

Weight-Loss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
The challenge for me is to only eat non processed foods, after eating something I thought was safe for allergies I still reacted due to cross contamination.

every thing eaten must be either fresh or dried with only one ingredient eg. beans, lentils, split peas,nuts. It means no shortcuts and cooking every meal from scratch.

All are welcome to join however I understand that cooking all meals from scratch could be a step too far for some.

I know cooking everything from scratch is good for me (and my allergies) but right now it really isn't feasible. Plus of course I allergic to plenty of things which can be present in trace amounts even in anything packaged. I'll be interested to see how you do though.

Last night I had a can of tomato soup, this was a big mistake and was the final straw leading to this challenge. Today however, I have only had fresh food.

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs
Snack: Cold roast mutton
Lunch: Cold roast mutton, cheese (Bega Vintage) Tea
Supper: Beef and stir fried fresh veg

Avoiding most packaged food will be a challenge, Bega cheese is ok, a key to being able to do this is to prep and freeze some meals in advance, stew with lots of bean, lentils, fresh veg and meat of-cuts works well.

Feeling awful is sadly sometimes the only real motivation for change for me.
I dislike reheated food, even though stews and soups often theoretically taste better the next day. Not sure that's not just food snobbery on my part though so I hope you'll inspire me to get used to it :)

I'm always up for a challenge... I'll see how near I get - then maybe tighten things up...
Its afternoon now and so far I've had 2 bowls of Weetabix... I'll certainly likely fail if Weetabix isn't allowed...

:p So far today I´d be fine if corn cakes (1 ingredient!) and wheat tortillas (...too many ingredients...) counted.
Breakfast was two wraps filled with mashed beans (mixed with ground chia, some spices, and tomato paste), bell pepper, avocado, and spinach. Lunch was corn cakes with feta and a spread made of frozen green peas, ground flax, celery, garlic, onion powder, salt... Oh, but I drizzled them with sriracha so I´m out anyway. Tru, do you make you own sauces? I´m very glad those are safe for me.

Evening meal - I failed with a tablespoon salad cream...
Grilled pork kebabs, cucumber, 2 tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, beetroot and reduced calorie salad cream...

When I'm being good I try to eat fairly clean - but there are always a few little cheats... I tend to like salad cream if I have lettuce.

I am semi awake this morning and about to pop a couple of egg on to boil before taking little miss out to work on the garden. I like porridge but unfortunately oats are often stored in the same silos used for wheat and I can no longer cope with the cross contamination.

I'll certainly likely fail if Weetabix

I would say that is fine, just not for me lol, if I ate that much wheat I would find myself in serious strife

I like this challenge, but may have a few staples in my diet that don't make it. Today I had:

High protein special K and weetabix with homemade kerfir for breakfast. I will have to look at the cereal packages but they probably are not single ingredient. Think I threw the weetabix package away so I will just follow Margret's lead there. For lunch green beans picked from our garden and some meatballs, think I was ok there. For dinner I had a piece of salmon on a big salad, probably ok there. I also had a lot of fresh fruit along the way apricots, plums, and cherries. Problem is tonight I will be eating yogurt as a snack, and to bring my protein up, will read the label, but it's probably not single ingredient.

So for me, this may just be trying my best. I do think eating non processed foods a good idea.

I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible (well except when I'm eating junk food...)
I do mostly cook from scratch for my real meals, but am glad that i have no serious allergies forcing me to as it helps to open a can of heinz beans when desperately hungry (like today) or snacking on some crackers...
I think I would be happy if I could achieve 80% non-processed, but not really sure where I am at.
Like today I had rice noodles and tofu, which i guess wouldn't cut it for non processed...but still just one ingredient. Not sure where tahini would stand either....only one ingredient so maybe ok? for actual non processed did make pancakes from scratch, had lots of veggies, had plain rice, raw fruit, almonds...i think my yogurt is only one ingredient unless the starters count, but i don't make it from scratch...

Well - after a healthy Friday evening meal - I had a less than ideal snack... It may be ok for this challenge - but was certainly sinful.

One of our next door neighbours popped to the front door... Someone had given her lemons so she had been baking... She had made a lemon drizzle cake and brought us a slice to share... I couldn't resist so had half a slice (Rod had the other half). Now as far as non-processed foods goes - a cake made from scratch isn't really processed... It was however 4 very sinful bites of yumminess :)

I continue to fail this challenge every day......

Saturday was an odd day in that we were out from 15 minutes after my morning walk until about 5pm... The lunch Rod packed was less than challenge adhering... 2 bags of crisps and 3 mini peperoni....

Other food of the day were ok apart from 1 tablespoon low cal salad cream
cottage cheese
Lamb kebabs with cucumber, tomato, red onion, lettuce

Sunday has had issues too...
cottage cheese
crustless quiche, cucumber and tomato
raspberries and 0% Greek yoghurt...

evening meal of salmon with salad still to come...
We might follow with more fruit and yoghurt

I´d say for people who don´t have health issues the challenge is to work toward simpler/cleaner food, not to attain perfection.
That sounds ideal for me...

I didnt end up having the second serving of fruit and yoghurt - instead opting for 3 slices cooked ham

Monday's food...
2 bowls weetabix
slow roast pork, boiled potatoes, carrots, red onions, apple sauce, bisto gravy (no meat juices)

just a bit of an update, still going strong with the fresh food. I am now looking at some interesting options to add to the garden.

My parents have fruit on their pawpaw tree for the first time this year and I´m looking forward to check it out next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back