Fitness Newbie Question

Hi all,

I have been doing cardio workouts for about a year now(mix of stationary bicycle,normal bicycling, running/walking treadmill, outdoors hiking). I have been doing it for general health as well as lowering my bodyfat levels. It has been doing pretty good, Im to the point where a 60 minute workout burns about 600 calories. I do these workouts about 4 times a week sometimes 5 times a week. I have noticed my waist slim down and the mid bulge go down as well. I do have a question though, recently I can see my ribs, but i stoll have small but they are there lovehandles. Ive read over and over that spot reducing doesnt work. So should I continue what I am doing, or is there some other method to add to erase the lovehandles. BTW I am 5'11 140 lbs 32inch waist.

Hill

You are probably seeing your Serratus Anterior instead of ribs (if it is just under your arms). This muscle set covers the ribs and can grow with torso (core) muscle exercises (i.e. biking, running, hiking, etc.) You are correct that you can't spot-reduce fat. But, you can strengthen your oblique muscles and turn the love handles into sculpted muscles. Try twisting crunches and crunches while laying on your side.

Sounds like you have a good formula for burning fat. If you throw in some weight lifting now, your fat will burn quicker with an increased metabolism.

Weight training, even if only 2-3 times a week, for 30-45 minutes with your cardio routine will go a long way for your overall appearance.

In Health,
DM

Thanks for the tips guys,

Im not familar with crunches laying on my side, could you explain how thats done, or a site that does? Also on the weight lifting, what would be a simple routine that would hit the areas in question most effectivly(Core. chest, rib area). Basicly I dont know where to start, Ive only done cardio with some light weights. As far as ab exercises the most ive done is basic crunches and lying leg raises.

Thanks again for your help.
Hill

1. Lie on your side with your knees slightly bent. You should be lying on your hip with your legs stacked;

2. Next, twist your upper body so your back is on the floor. Your shoulders should be parallel with the floor;

3. Place your hands behind your ears (so you don't pull on your head);

4. Lift your shoulder blades and upper back off of the floor. Do this motion slowly and controlled holding it at the top of your movement before slowly lowering back to the floor;

5. Repeat step 4 as many times as you can;

6. Flip over and repeat on the other side of your body.

Flat Bench and Flyes for chest.
Dips and decline bench for chest, and Serratus (rib area).
Crunches and heyperextension for core.

Thanks Rip for explaining the side crunches much apprecieted. I will have to start including that in my ab workout. I do have a bench that I can incline but not anything that I can decline, for at this time I dont belong to a gym. I have some older dumbells,barbell which I will have to start using on a more regular basis.Nothing of any major weight tho, but we all have to start somewhere I suppose. Just dont want to do too much too quick. How many days a week do you think I should be doing this light weight training, and for what period of time per session? Also do you think I should be doing this in addition to my cardio work, or should I skip the cardio on the days I lift weights?

Thanks for the advice,
Hill

The jury is still out on whether to do cardio before or after working out.

Try weights 3 days per week for 45-60 minutes. And, cardio 3 or 4 days a week (other days) for 60 minutes. This covers all bases and will make you rock solid in no time!

Keep up the good work,
Rip

Thanks for the words of encouragment and advice, its quite apperecited.

I have been trying the side crunches you mentioned, and I have to say they seem to be a worthy ab exercise, I can really feel the burn for sure.

I will have to let you know how its progressing, after a few weeks.

Hill

Back