facts about Bariatric surgery...

Patricksia

Just another sharing relating to Bariatric surgery and hope that it will be able to help you all....

Prior to the surgery, patients are encouraged to follow all preparatory steps recommended by their physician. These may include modifications to diet, engaging in an exercise program and limiting or stopping use of nicotine products.

Following surgery, patients will have a short hospital stay. The length of the stay will depend on the type of surgery performed and the patient’s recovery. Patients will be placed on a special diet for several months that begins with liquids and progresses through pureed foods and soft foods before returning to regular foods.

Patients will initially find that they need to eat very small meals throughout the day, although the stomach will stretch a small amount over time. However, the amount of food a patient can eat is permanently restricted following surgery.

For the first six months following surgery, patients often find that they may vomit or feel pain under the breastbone if they eat too much or eat too quickly. Patients may experience other symptoms during this period as well, including:

Body aches
Feeling of tiredness similar to flu
Feeling cold
Dry skin
Hair thinning or hair loss
Mood changes

Patients may lose as much as 50 to 60 percent of excess weight within the first two years of surgery. However, there is no guarantee that patients will keep the weight off over the long term. Bariatric surgery patients are urged to eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and make other physician-prescribed lifestyle changes that can increase their chances of maintaining a healthy body weight.

Cheers!
Patrick

thank you for the information :seeya:

hi, i live in the UK and have been funded by the NHS so it's free for me. i'v heard on TV that USA may be starting their own NHS, if this is right anyone living in USA will get any surgery they need free of charge.
sue.

In all actual fact, the BMI is not a reliable indicator of anything. It takes only the very basic stats like height, gender and weight into account, and completely neglects body shape, bone density, built and muscle mass.

According to BMI charts, most body builders would be at leat obese, if not worse, even though they have a perfect body fat percentage.

Hi Peter

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a number calculated from a person's weight and height. BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems.

Bariatric surgery is recommended for anyone who has a BMI greater than 40.

Whilst many doctors would recommend against bariatric surgery for people with a BMI of less than 40 - that is not to say that they recommend it for people with a BMI of over 40.

My BMI was well over 40 and I was able to lose weight using firm nutrition and exercise - and many other people also do this.

Naturally this involves hard work but avoids much of the pain and risks that accompany any form of surgery.

I say this in order to give a balance to the response to Karen Gilday's question - since she did not say that she believed that surgery was necessarily the answer for her.

Just so you guys know, this thread is just a spammer creating multiple accounts and talking to itself trying to fool people into clicking links that have since been deleted.

well, you could be right?? We have a system that tells us if someone is signing in under more than one username..that hasn't alerted us at all though. Maybe theres a way around it? i don't know..but thanks for the heads up.

The way around it is easy. The program only reacts when a person uses the same IP adress to sign up with two (or more) different usernames. If they use different IPs, it won't pick up on them. There's programs out there that assign a random IP to a user every time they log on, and I strongly assume that somebody who's spamming boards like these would use something like that, so it's entirely possible.

I found this whole thread rather fishy from the start to be honest....:(

Back