Exercise without Core Muscles

Is it possible to workout without engaging your stomach or lower back?
This is a long post but wanted to give some background. I fell/collapsed a month ago and it messed up all my ab/core muscles. It's like they would just give out after a few seconds. Like most injuries I didn't know what I used until it was gone. People talk about having a strong core and it is certainly true. I had to use my grandmother walker because just standing felt like hours of stability exercises.
I'm better now except for whatever combination helps my posture and the lower ab muscles attached to my quads and other muscles that bring my knee up.
So far I've only been able to do arm exercises. Can anyone think of anything to do?

If your have been advised by medical professionals to totally rest your core etc. ignore the rest of this completely, I am not a doctor so trusting me over someone who is would be beyond stupid.

Failing to strengthen the core when the damage is minor could delay recovery and having more strength outside the core with a weakened core could result in you re-injuring it.
If the damage hasn't been deemed so bad you shouldn't challenge it at all I would advise getting a serious set of supports to hold your core stable while training. You won't be using it as much but it will get engaged in a controlled fashion.

There are a wealth of exercises that will not impact your core, mostly resistance machines. But only take this route if there is no alternative. That said if it is take it.

Back