Eight-hour time-restricted eating does not lower daily myofibrillar protein synthesis rates

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
First published: 22 December 2022 https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.23637

An interesting study looking at protein synthesis during intermittent fasting, showing no change in protein synthesis between the control and the time restricted eating group.

Total body mass was reduced but the changes in total body mass were not different between groups.

Total fat mass was reduced to a greater extent in the control group compared to the time restricted eating group. There was a greater loss of lean mass in the time restricted group compared to the control group.

My brain is on vacation so let me see if I can get this straight. I had expected daily protein synthesis to be lower in the fasting group because they're consuming all their dietary protein in a relatively short time window. It isn't (maybe because the participants were overweight/obese?) but they still lost more muscle mass than the non-time-restricted group even though both lost a similar amount of total body mass.
So muscle repair is similar for both groups but for the fasting group the rate of muscle mass broken down for energy versus fat mass broken down for energy is higher? I hadn't expected either of those things but it's interesting.

It is interesting, and not the result the researchers were expecting, protein intake for the study was a mid range value and the scientists commented in the discussion about the protein intake being something that needs more research in relation to the study outcome.

Back