dummy here

what is an easy way to describe pilates to someone that doesnt know. I work at a gym but never have taken yoga or pilates. I feel ashamed that i dont know...lol I had a member come up to me and ask me what each yoga and pilates are and the difference between them and i had no clue really. I gave it a shot told them something. Just want you yoga pros and pilate pros out there to help me prevent that situation happening again. Oh and which one should i try myself first???:confused:

I describe Pilates as "yoga with resistance" when I am trying to explain it to someone. That is only partly accurate. They are VERY similar, but there is more of a focus on strength development in Pilates in my observation.

Hi there! I have been a regular Pilates practitioner for just over 6 years. I trained through Michael King at Pilates Institute in London. I describe Pilates as an holistic, low-impact technique that utilises and strengthens the body's core (postural) muscles. As you work up the levels of each exercise, the more superficial muscles of the body are introduced but always ensuring the correct body alignment is maintained. The more you practise Pilates, the more you will learn about your own body - your weaknesses, etc, and through the technique you will re-align and re-balance your body. The benefits of using Pilates are endless! These will include: greater postural awareness, increased flexibility and mobility, ultimate mind body harmonisation, a stronger, leaner and toned body, lower stress levels and fatigue. I have found there are not many similarities between Pilates and Yoga other than the holistic, mind & body approach and, indeed, both techniques require very different breathing styles!

Hope this helps!

Dee Bretnall
Certified Pilates Instructor (Pilates Institute UK)

Dear Dee Bretnall, I'm a 35 year old woman in goog health and would like to bring my 25% body fat down to 20% while gaining mussle tone and flexibilty. I'm a little tight (very tight) in my hamstrings and back. I had 20 sessions of Yoga and 10 of Pilates and 1 year of weight training 2 years ago.. What do I do? Thanks, Sara

Hi
Im 14 and just wonderin' what pilates are and how you do them? 'cause i don't have a clue. I've heard that it tones your abdominals and that's what i want to do. so please help:confused:

Last edited:
Lucy,

In brief, Pilates involves a series of slow movements with resistance. It works on your core muscle groups, not just your abs. I think it's just most visible on the abs. It's also helped my butt and thighs. It takes a lot of moves from yoga. All motions are done maintaining your muscles in your "powerhouse" engaged. The powerhouse is what a word Joseph Pilates made up. It involves keeping your shoulders down, your ribcage closed, your belly button pulled in to your spine (think abs as tight as you can get them), your pelvic muscles tight (as if trying to stop the flow of urine,) and your hamstrings engaged. When I first started Pilates, this really seemed like a lot of work. Then you do movements keeping these muscles stable.

There are many excercises to to from this position. I'd suggest getting a book from the library and reading the intro. to get started. It helped me to do my videos with that basic Pilates info.

I hoped this helped you a bit.

Back