Weight-Loss Does the nutritional content of corn change over time like bananas do?

Weight-Loss

owlietenil2

OK, so as bananas ripen, their starches break down into simple sugars. Essentially I want to know if the same thing happens with corn. I left some corn on the cob for a little too long before cooking and the innermost part of the kernels (the endosperm, I assume?) are larger and harder than with a more "fresh" cob of corn. I'm wondering if the nutritional content of an overripe/older cob of corn like this is different from your typical fresh cob. Higher in protein? Tell me what you know!

Corn basically does the reverse of bananas: it starts with a lot of sugar which gets converted into starch as the corn ripens/dries. The corn you eat as corn on the cob has been bred to slow down this process so it stays sweeter for longer. No increase of protein in the dry mass as far as I know (though of course the percentage of protein in the total mass goes up as water evaporates).

I believe moonshine has very different nutritional properties than the original corn... But listen to LaMa, she knows what she is talking about, I am just joking a bit.

I would bet that if you go to google scholar you can answer your question; I'm sure that somebody has looked at corn sugar content over time.

Spam link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Back