Do i cut carbs?

wurth

Hi guys im 19 and would like to shift some weight, my diet is clean and i exercise 4 times a week - 1 hour sessions. do i need to cut carbohydrates? or does anyone have any experience with cutting carbs and exercising. thanks jay

Generally you need to cut calories if you're exercising but not losing weight.

Cutting carbs is one way to reduce calories, but not the only way. You can cut out processed food (clean has a lot of meanings), you can cut back on portions, you can cut out grains or... well, whatever it takes to reduce calories that works for you.

If you do cut carbs, I'd make sure that every few days you have at least 100g of carbs - I'm not sure it's necessary but I've read stuff about 'upregulating thyroid' type stuff that suggests at the very least it's not a bad idea.

To keep your body running properly you need 45-65% of your daily allowed calories to come from carbs. Maybe right now you are running at 50% carb intake, so maybe bump down to that 45% mark to cut some calories, but I suggest you don't go below that. Also, you brain needs at least 100+g of carbs a day just to make your brain function properly. You get glucose from carbs and your brain runs off of glucose so no carbs or very low carbs= less energy for your brain= BAD.

If you drop below 100g of carbs a day, your body converts protein to glucose as well.

So dropping below 100g of carbs doesn't mean your brain won't function properly, but some people do better with low carb than others.

If you drop below 100g of carbs a day, your body converts protein to glucose as well.

So dropping below 100g of carbs doesn't mean your brain won't function properly, but some people do better with low carb than others.

Protein is considered a "high cost" energy fsource. If your body is using protein that means you are losing muscle, and that just doesnt help anyone.

Um, no. If you eat protein then your body can convert that to glucose. You don't need to burn off muscle in order for this to happen.

It is important to get sufficient protein when you go low carb so your body has enough to fuel both your muscles and your brain, but cutting carbs does not mean your body is cannibalizing your muscle.

Um, no. If you eat protein then your body can convert that to glucose. You don't need to burn off muscle in order for this to happen.

It is important to get sufficient protein when you go low carb so your body has enough to fuel both your muscles and your brain, but cutting carbs does not mean your body is cannibalizing your muscle.

If that was the case why would our body use carbs for energy first? Our body uses carbs, then fat and last protein. Protein is what builds our muscle and if you use that energy just to makr your organs function you are either not going to build muscle or youre going to eat away at muscle you do have. And if you cut carbs too low you have to worry about utilizing too much fat burning for energy, which can lead to ketoacidosis, acidic blood.

Carbs are our bodys preferred energy source, its easy to get and convert and in combination with healthy levels of fat and protein will help the body function properly and help the body utilize energy where it needs to be. This is all info taught to me by my professor in my nutrition class at my university, she is vey adimant on how very important carb intake is, especially during weight loss.

Your instructor may be adamant about it, but you can in fact use protein that you eat instead of muscle protein for gluconeogenesis.

You don't have to believe me, but while your body may prefer carbs that does not mean it has to destroy your muscle if you don't get them. It's a good idea to get plenty of protein if you're low carbing rather than eating nothing but sticks of butter.

Also, ketoacidosis is related to an issue with your liver producing ketones even when it doesn't need them - i.e. something's wrong with your liver - and not low carb. Ketoacidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not advocating going low carb, but that doesn't mean it's going to waste away your muscles. There are even people who have gone on low carb bulks where they put on muscle mass while eating low carb.

Back