diet for bodybuilding

I am in a debate and i would love to hear everyones opinions.
For gaining more weight in bodybuilding doyou think it is necessary to eat a meal in the middle of the night??? Here are my views, eating every 3 hours is a must, but i thought that if you wake up in the middle of the night to have even a protein shake, your metabolism is running quicker, therefore burning energy and even losing weight because you are burning extra energy during your sleep...... I am a trainer and i tell the clients that want to lose wieght to eat more often in the day and get proper sleep, and do their workout routine as well. but if a weight gaining bodybuilder should know that getting adequate sleep is a must. if you are waking up in the middle of the night, you know that you have too much energy and therefore you are using it more. end result.... loss of weight... thanks i hope someone can explain it better lol i want to hear more views on this subject!!

I don't know if you would improve your metabolism enough to warrant waking up and eating in the middle of the night. Your metabolism is SUPPOSED to be slow while you are asleep - that is how your body repairs itself. My guess would be that you are doing more harm to your body by interruping its needed rest than any possible benefits from eating a meal at that time.

Has anyone seen any studies on this matter because I sure haven't.

I agree a good nights sleep is way more important than eating every 3 hours! You certainly can get enough calories and all the required nutriants during the other 16 hours of the day. There are many techniques for adding calories without excess bulk. I used to mix raw eggs with whole milk to create a high calorie, high protien drink, that digested fast, and did not bloat. I have heard of bodybuilders consuming oils straight (1 quart of olive oil) to up their calorie intake wihtout a lot bulk.
My dauughter has gastro-intestinal paralysis and at one point we used to have to put a tube up her nose, down her throat, into her stomach and trickle pump a high density nutritional supplement down her throat all night while she slept. If you really want to get anal about it you could try that (although I don't know how she slept with that tube up her nose)!

While you are awake you need to be eating roughly around every 2-3hrs and eating lean sources of Protein with low GI Carbs, this helps to fuel the body correctly and keep insulin levels stable and therefore not elevate your blood sugar level and store fat.

You probley already know that, but the next bit is worth reading.

Some people have tryed this approch for 6-12 months and have had no further success by having some protein during the night, tests have also been carried out in labs and the same holds true that it has not made any difference.

As long as you are fueling your body with the correct nutriants and traing hard (both Cardio and resistance training) then you should see really good gains.

;)

Back