Diary of a Cheeseball

Hello! I used to browse this forum a long time ago, reading and following along on other people's weight loss journeys. So when I finally decided to embark on one of my own, I checked back to see if this place was still around, and to my surprise it was. Aside from the well wishers (the "oh, you're going on a diet? Good luck, hope you make it!" kind) I don't have too many people I can fall back on to keep me accountable, so having this diary will be a great tool in that regard.

To start, my "stats":
Height: 5'2
Starting weight: 176
Goal weight: 160

I work a pretty sedentary job, working as back office admin for a medical clinic. The majority of working hours are spent sat at a desk, occasionally getting up to go to the printer, or walking down to the clinic side to catch a provider for signature in between patients. I'm a big snacker, and I like munching on things.. I'm really big with textures, and I just like crunching on things, and I know a lot of the snacking I do is usually in response to some innate need to be gnawing on something. I'm not sure how to explain it, other than I just like to chew things.. even if it's not food, I'll chew on straws, bottle caps.. whatever. Been that way my whole life, lol.

The one thing I'm pretty good with is going to the gym, working out 3-4 times a week. This, and walking my dog, is where the majority of my activity comes from. Considering how little I move during most of my day, it likely isn't enough to counter balance the lack of physicality. Still, it is one thing I've been consistent with, and I know tacking on another day or two of gym time won't be a difficult transition.

While my overall goal is to land somewhere in the 130-135lbs range, my initial goal is to reach 160lbs. I'm giving myself 100 days to hit my goal, working out 5x (M-F) a week with a daily calorie intake of 1600, focusing on a high protein diet. I decided on 100 days because 1-2 months felt a little too short, and while 3 months (90 days) seemed like significant enough time had passed to see genuine results, I just... don't like the number, so I rounded it up to 100. The end date should be May 9 (I technically started yesterday, but only had time now to post), so we'll see where this road takes us!

I'll come back later tonight to post the results of my day, but for now, thanks for reading!

Hi Cheesy (is it ok if I call you Cheesy?) and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a solid plan and realistic goals. About the chewing thing: maybe you could gnaw on carrots or other raw/crunchy veggies instead?

Hi, cheesy & welcome back to the forum. We're stayers here :) I like your plan & it does sound perfectly doable. A container of crunchy raw veggies sounds like a good idea to gnaw on. Sugarless gum in pellet form is something I like too.

Hi Cheesy (is it ok if I call you Cheesy?) and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have a solid plan and realistic goals. About the chewing thing: maybe you could gnaw on carrots or other raw/crunchy veggies instead?
Hello! Yes, it's perfectly fine to call me Cheesy (cuz that's what I am, lol). The veggies are a good idea, I do enjoy carrots and snap peas.. thanks for the suggestion!
Hi, cheesy & welcome back to the forum. We're stayers here :) I like your plan & it does sound perfectly doable. A container of crunchy raw veggies sounds like a good idea to gnaw on. Sugarless gum in pellet form is something I like too.
Hello, thank you for the welcome back! I will have to go and buy some snacking veggies next time I get the chance! Not sure I've heard of gum in "pellet form", but I do have a bit of sensitivity with my teeth and sticky/gummy things can sorta trigger it, so I tend to stay away from them. But thank you for the suggestion!

Hello, reporting back for my first day! Overall, today was a pretty average day with work. I am fighting off a small cold with some congestion, so I had a bit of a pressure headache that thankfully cleared up once I got to the gym. I always feel better after working out, cuz it clears up the airway and gets the blood flowing. Today I ate rather well in terms of my diet, staying inside my calorie limit and hitting my protein intake.

Breakfast: Eggs w/ cheese in a tortilla, protein shake
Lunch: Chicken and rice, honeydew
Pre workout snack: Oatmeal
Post workout: Protein shake
Dinner: Chicken and cauliflower "fried rice" w/ mixed veggies
Post dinner: Mixed berries

Drinks: water, coffee, herbal tea, vitamin water zero

Calories: 1582 (147g protein)

For my workout at the gym, I did a lower body workout, followed by 20 min on the elliptical. I'm aiming to do strength training 4x a week; 2x upper body on M/Th, 2x lower body on Tu/Fri and a long cardio day on Wednesday. On weekends, I take my dog for longer walks, so I'll treat those more as "active days" and less "workout" days. If I want to do any additional cardio, I can, but it isn't obligatory.

All in all, I'd consider today a success! Just gonna enjoy the rest of my evening, relaxing and playing with my pup, and then head off to bed.

Today I ate rather well in terms of my diet, staying inside my calorie limit and hitting my protein intake.
Great start! Sounds like both the food and the exercise were enjoyable as well, which is much-needed for long-term success.

Hello! I used to browse this forum a long time ago, reading and following along on other people's weight loss journeys. So when I finally decided to embark on one of my own, I checked back to see if this place was still around, and to my surprise it was. Aside from the well wishers (the "oh, you're going on a diet? Good luck, hope you make it!" kind) I don't have too many people I can fall back on to keep me accountable, so having this diary will be a great tool in that regard.

To start, my "stats":
Height: 5'2
Starting weight: 176
Goal weight: 160

I work a pretty sedentary job, working as back office admin for a medical clinic. The majority of working hours are spent sat at a desk, occasionally getting up to go to the printer, or walking down to the clinic side to catch a provider for signature in between patients. I'm a big snacker, and I like munching on things.. I'm really big with textures, and I just like crunching on things, and I know a lot of the snacking I do is usually in response to some innate need to be gnawing on something. I'm not sure how to explain it, other than I just like to chew things.. even if it's not food, I'll chew on straws, bottle caps.. whatever. Been that way my whole life, lol.

The one thing I'm pretty good with is going to the gym, working out 3-4 times a week. This, and walking my dog, is where the majority of my activity comes from. Considering how little I move during most of my day, it likely isn't enough to counter balance the lack of physicality. Still, it is one thing I've been consistent with, and I know tacking on another day or two of gym time won't be a difficult transition.

While my overall goal is to land somewhere in the 130-135lbs range, my initial goal is to reach 160lbs. I'm giving myself 100 days to hit my goal, working out 5x (M-F) a week with a daily calorie intake of 1600, focusing on a high protein diet. I decided on 100 days because 1-2 months felt a little too short, and while 3 months (90 days) seemed like significant enough time had passed to see genuine results, I just... don't like the number, so I rounded it up to 100. The end date should be May 9 (I technically started yesterday, but only had time now to post), so we'll see where this road takes us!

I'll come back later tonight to post the results of my day, but for now, thanks for reading!
Hi... I am new here too. I wanted to share what I have researched during my weightloss journey and share my experiences. So I joined here. Because it makes me happy. Your thoughts are great. I know you can do it. Loving going to gym is really good. I lost 20 kgs in 3 months. What you need is keep motivating yourself and focus! You have it and never give up. I have seen

Belated check-in for day 2. I had to go into work extra early yesterday, so I was pretty exhausted by the time I got home. Still, just wanted to drop in and give a quick update.

Breakfast: eggs w/ cheese & canadian bacon in tortilla, protein shake
Lunch: chicken and rice, honeydew
Pre workout snack: oatmeal
Dinner: Asian chicken salad

Drinks: water, coffee, herbal tea, sparkling water

Calories: 1652 (132g protein)

A little over my calorie goal, but I'm okay with it. I probably could have skipped the oatmeal, since it was a cardio day (I usually eat it pre workout for days I train with weights, to give a carb boost so I can push harder) but I was hungry before the gym, and I know I would have felt miserable going into a long slog of cardio with my stomach growling at me. I did the elliptical for 60min, and then went on a quick walk around the neighborhood with my pup when I got home.

All in all, I still consider yesterday a good one! Check back in later for today's report! Until then, have a great day everyone :)

Sounds like a good day! I'd say 1652 kcal for a day that includes 60 minutes of cardio would still be a pretty big deficit.

Sounds like a good day! I'd say 1652 kcal for a day that includes 60 minutes of cardio would still be a pretty big deficit.
Thanks! It wasn't too overdone, so I'm okay with it. I've learnt from past attempts that I shouldn't expect perfect, and just strive for consistency instead. As long as I'm consistently exercising and eating around my calorie range, then I'll see results. They may not be instant, but they will happen.

It sounds like a good day to me too. Results will happen for sure. The slower the loss is the better the chances are of not regaining I think.

Back again for day 3!

Breakfast: protein yogurt, banana
Lunch: Asian chicken salad, honeydew
Pre workout: Lean Cuisine meal (chicken stuffing w/ mashed potatoes)
Post workout: protein shake
Dinner: eggs w/ mushrooms and Canadian bacon, tortilla

Calories: 1594 (146g protein)

Decided to switch things up for breakfast and made myself some protein yogurt (Greek yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder mixed in). With the banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, it was a decadent start to my morning (but only 335cal and 41g of protein!). For lunch, I had another chicken salad - I buy them from Trader Joe's, for those of you in the US - and they're one of my favorite salads, so I always buy a couple when I have the chance. Seriously, super yum and very filling! I ran out of oatmeal (I usually keep a box of packets at my desk) but my friend had a frozen meal she didn't want that had been sitting in the freezer for like a month and she let me have it. It was.. a bit on the bland side, but it had protein and carbs, and gave me energy for a good workout! And just when I thought I was gonna escape eggs today, I only had a couple hundred calories left for the day when I got home. Threw in some meat and mushrooms for a bit more substance, and paired it with a high fiber low cal tortilla, and it made for a nice meal that was low cal but still physically filling. I enjoyed it immensely, and eggs are always an easy thing to dress up in a pinch.

Today was an upper body day at the gym, followed by 20min of inclined walking on the treadmill. Upper body days are definitely my favorite amongst the two, but that might be because I have weak knees lol. Plus, my physique goal is less "thin but curvy" and more.. "brick wall" and I'm aiming for a broader back and shoulders. I've never liked being perceived as "weak" simply for being born a woman, and I want to look as strong outside as I do inside. I don't really care about getting abs, but if I can look like I wrestle bears in the woods for fun, then I'll consider it a win 😂

Anyway, enough rambling. Another successful day under the belt. Thanks to everyone following along. I know I'm only just beginning, but it's very encouraging being able to share my day with people who have similar goals. I appreciate you!

Day 3 sounds wonderful.
Plus, my physique goal is less "thin but curvy" and more.. "brick wall" and I'm aiming for a broader back and shoulders. I've never liked being perceived as "weak" simply for being born a woman, and I want to look as strong outside as I do inside. I don't really care about getting abs, but if I can look like I wrestle bears in the woods for fun, then I'll consider it a win 😂
I love this! I would much rather look strong & healthy too. Forget the slender weak little woman look for me too. Looking like you could wrestle bears in the woods for fun made me laugh. I really love this :D

I've never liked being perceived as "weak" simply for being born a woman, and I want to look as strong outside as I do inside.
Hear hear!
if I can look like I wrestle bears in the woods for fun, then I'll consider it a win
:rotflmao: I like you!

Ready meals are generally a bit bland, despite the high salt content, but having one as backup is not a bad thing.

Day 4 checking in!

Breakfast: protein oatmeal, berries
Lunch: Asian chicken salad, honeydew
Pre workout: pop tart pastry
Post workout: protein shake
Dinner: eggs w/ Canadian bacon, mushrooms, cheese, tortilla

Calories: 1555 (140g protein)

Switched things up for breakfast again, mixing a scoop of protein powder into my oatmeal and pairing it with some berries. Last time I'll be having the Asian salad until I go and buy more, but I rarely get over to Trader Joe's, so that won't be for awhile. Sad, but I guess that's what keeps things special - only getting it on occasion. Had a repeat of last night's dinner, except I had some extra calories to spare so I sprinkled on some pepper jack cheese for some extra gooey-ness. Delicious. I actually tend to eat a lot of the same foods, just kinda rotating where I get them in throughout the day/week. I just kinda go through phases of eating certain foods and meals, and then 2-3 months later I suddenly hate it and move onto other things. But at least it's nice to know that if I just keep eating what I've been eating, I'll pretty much stick to my calorie range without trying too hard (as long as I watch my portion size and keep tracking).

Last (required) workout of the week! Although lower body isn't my favorite, I still got in a good session and then followed it up with 20 min on the elliptical. Walking and the elliptical are my go-to's for cardio since they're easier on my knees, and they're the most enjoyable for me overall. Just pop in my earbuds, put on a good playlist, and get moving! Tomorrow will be an "active" day, and I plan to take my dog on a long walk around our neighborhood. I wish I had more time during the week to take her out more often, but it's dark by the time I get home. Thankfully I live with my family, and she has a big backyard to run around during the day. And once the sun starts setting later, I'll be able to take her on longer walks in the evening instead of the quick one down the block. But there are coyotes in the area, and she's only 10 months old and barely breaking 20lbs, so I'm gonna wait until it stops getting dark so early before venturing further.

Anyway, that's all for today! Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, and I'll check back in tomorrow for the next update!

Welcome to the bear wrestling club 💪

Back