Daily food diary!

sf2021

I find that writing down what I ate in painstaking detail keeps me on track so I am going to start a daily food diary here. It might be very boring to others or it might occasionally give someone passing by a diet food recipe idea! Numbers are sometimes estimated and in such a case usually rounded up.

So I'll start with what I had yesterday:

- Portion of salad made with spinach, butter beans, broccoli "rice", chopped: red pepper, sundried tomato, sweet potato, radish, cashews and dressing (tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, mustard, salt and water) - 500 cals

- 3 scrambled eggs (cooked in 1/2 tsp avocado oil) & kelp - 200 cals

- Slice gluten-free bread with vegan butter and Marmite - 250 cals

- 4 gluten-free seeded oatcakes (Nairn's) - 200 cals

- 10 cashews - 100 cals

Fluids: mug black coffee, mug decaf black coffee, mug green tea, mug chamomile, limeflower and lavender tea, 40g vegan protein powder mixed with water - 215 cals, additional glasses of water

^ About 1415 cals total!

Hi SF and welcome to the forum. More food ideas are always welcome! I like the sound of that salad.

Welcome SF!

Starting a diary is a good thing, it has really helped me. Tell us more about yourself and your goals, it will make responding and commenting to you a bit easier.

As to calories and portions estimates are fine so long as they are honest they tend to average out fine. I think we all do at least some of that. I do measure and weigh things when I can, I think it helps make the estimates more accurate.

I agree with LaMa, very impressive salad!

Hi, sf & welcome to the forum. I love salads & love reading what other people eat. You won't bore us I'm sure. Do you have much weight to lose?

Yesterday:

- Portion of salad containing: spinach, butter beans, broccoli "rice", chopped: red pepper, sundried tomato, sweet potato, radish, cashews and dressing (tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, mustard, salt and water) - 400 cals
- 2 slices frittata containing: egg whites, spinach, garlic powder, salt and pepper - 115 cals
- 7 blackberries - 28 cals
- Portion of salad containing: crab, sliced radish, chopped avocado, shredded: grapefruit, coriander leaves and mint leaves, following chopped into sticks: Granny Smith apple, celery and ginger, with dressing (toasted crushed coriander seeds, ginger juice, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, olive oil and salt) - 400 cals

Fluids yesterday: mug black coffee, mug decaf black coffee, mug green tea, 40g vegan protein powder mixed with water - 215 cals, additional glasses of water

^ About 1158 cals total!

Last edited:
Hi, sf & welcome to the forum. I love salads & love reading what other people eat. You won't bore us I'm sure. Do you have much weight to lose?

Hello and thanks :) I have a fair bit to lose but not crazy amounts. I'm currently at the higher end of a healthy BMI and am aiming to get back to the lower end of a healthy BMI!

Welcome SF!

Starting a diary is a good thing, it has really helped me. Tell us more about yourself and your goals, it will make responding and commenting to you a bit easier.

As to calories and portions estimates are fine so long as they are honest they tend to average out fine. I think we all do at least some of that. I do measure and weigh things when I can, I think it helps make the estimates more accurate.

I agree with LaMa, very impressive salad!

Thank you for the welcome! Have put a bit of info about my weight loss goals in post above!

Hello and thanks :) I have a fair bit to lose but not crazy amounts. I'm currently at the higher end of a healthy BMI and am aiming to get back to the lower end of a healthy BMI!
It sounds like a good position to be in. I am going to have salad envy for a while. It’s too cold for salads here.

Yesterday:

- Portion of salad containing: sliced radish, chopped avocado, shredded: grapefruit, coriander leaves and mint leaves, following chopped into sticks: Granny Smith apple, celery and ginger, with dressing (toasted crushed coriander seeds, ginger juice, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, olive oil and salt) - 250 cals
- Slice frittata containing: egg whites, spinach, garlic powder, salt and pepper - 75 cals
- Portion of salad containing: spinach, butter beans, broccoli "rice", chopped: red pepper, sundried tomato, sweet potato, radish, cashews and dressing (tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, mustard, salt and water) - 400 cals
- Can of tuna with some vegan "mayonnaise" - 250 cals

Fluids yesterday: mug black coffee, mug decaf black coffee, mug green tea, 40g vegan protein powder mixed with water - 215 cals, additional glasses of water

^ About 1190 cals total!

Three hours of sleep (don't ask!) and a busy day meant I ate more than usual! However, this little sleep would have in more recent months historically pushed me to at least 3000 cals, so I count the below as pretty much a win. I had to get takeout but it was healthy takeout. So I had:

- Salmon with sides of brown rice, sweet potato and a green bean/asparagus salad - 824 cals
- 2 small pudding-style pots with cacao & espresso "paste", halva and crushed pecan mix - (estimating 600 cals total?)

I later had two packets of grab bag size salt & vinegar crisps (Walkers) - 674 cals and one packet of large size ready salted crisps (Walkers) - 337 cals. The size didn't seem that big but that's almost 1000 cals worth of crisps lol! Yummy saltiness though.

Fluids yesterday: 3 mugs black coffee, bottle of kombucha (Jarr) - 53 cals, additional glasses of water

I'm estimating the total above at around 2488 cals though it's tricky to work out how many cals were in the "pudding pots" above as, being newer items, they aren't listed in the restaurant's nutritional info online.

Salmon with green beans and asparagus sounds so good! Days after sleepless nights are super tough for me too: I agree that you did great considering.

Yesterday:

- Portion of salad containing: sliced radish, chopped avocado, shredded: grapefruit, coriander leaves and mint leaves, following chopped into sticks: Granny Smith apple, celery and ginger, with dressing (toasted crushed coriander seeds, ginger juice, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, olive oil and salt) - 100 cals
- Slice frittata containing: egg whites, spinach, garlic powder, salt, pepper - 75 cals
- Portion of salad containing: butter beans, broccoli "rice", chopped: red pepper & sweet potato and dressing (tahini, lemon juice, minced garlic, olive oil, mustard, salt and water) - 300 cals

Fluids yesterday: 3 mugs black coffee, additional glasses of water

^ Total about 475 cals!

What happened yesterday? 475 kcal don´t sound like they´d sustain you.

Nothing happened! I was all good on 475.