Daily Check In - For support & motivation

I am a big big fan of Fage Total 0% Greek yoghurt. The protein and calcium stats are amazing for the calories... I have quite a lot every day and it really helps me hit my targets. I have other low fat Greek yoghurt too - but the Total 0% gives better stats (but it is more expensive)...

At the minute I am on a bit of a pattern of having yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, lunch and supper... Then I have a very different healthy main meal and hit some brilliant stats. I am filling my stats into the 21 days club - so if you check it you will see what I mean.

I had greek yogurt for the first time today. I went for the peach flavor and it wasn't bad. I am not a big fan of yogurt in general, but I know the greek yogurt is very healthy. I am just enjoying researching all the low calorie recipes out there and excited about trying new things. I was dying for a sweet snack so I made one from cinnamon graham crackers and fat free cool whip in the middle, frozen. It was really good and only 90 calories.

I have lost one more pound, yea!

Well done on losing one more pound. A pound is a real achievement - you just need to think of what a pound of butter looks like!!! you are doing great.

I went through a whole phase a few years back of putting yoghurt into the freezer - and got so that if you picked the right yoghurt and got the timing right it would taste just like ice cream. It was like I had ice cream for lunch every day all summer long...

Sugar free jelly can make a good sweet snack... I went through a whole phase with that too...

My food yesterday was healthy and controlled - although I didnt get much of a deficit... It was pretty high in protein and that tends to have the impact of increasing the calories a bit... All in all I was happy with it though. I am happy with the odd day of healthy eating with no deficit - as long as there is no surplus...

Sounds like some good ideas for "treats"! So, protein tends to add more calories? I'm sure I have a lot to learn about my new plan and counting calories. I have been under for a few days but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. If you are under your designated calories for several days or so, do you tend to gain weight if you get back to eating at the designated level?

I have lost 4 pounds in 5 days and am not out of the 180's club!!!!

Your 4 pound loss in 5 days is well worth celebrating... :hurray: Well done!!! It is brilliant that has got you through that milestone. :party:

LOL Eating more brings more calories into the equation. Protein is actually a good thing to have more of though...

For the record 1g of protein is 4 calories, 1g of carbohydrate is 4 calories and 1g of fat is 9 calories...

For a lot of people that can all be very interesting - then they ignore it and get on with eating meals that they think of as healthy and adding up the calories of the meal and the day as a whole... If the calorie number hits the magic number then things are good...

Then you have the people that look at how the food is made up from time to time... I certainly don't bother to do it all the time...

Anyway there are all sorts of RDAs which give levels that we would be healthier if we hit with the different macro nutrients... The thing is that the official protein RDA is considered by a lot of experts to be a bit low... I think that it works out at something like 60g for me - but do not follow it so cannot really remember off hand... Lots of people subscribe to the notion that it should be 1g per pound of lean body weight - which for me calculates out at about 100g per day and is what I shoot for normally... Some people say that it should be as high as 1g per pound of actual body weight... Some people even suggest 2g per pound of lean body weight... Generally I like to have it about the 100g or more - but am quite happy for it to go more...

It means that if my calories are right and I am not hungry - but my protein is under 100g - I will tend to eat more to put my protein right even though it may take my calories higher...

I think that it is probably not a good idea to go under your calories too often. You dont want your body to get used to you eating too few calories... Weight loss stalls from time to time and it can be useful then to reduce your calories... If you initially set your calories too low - it removes options regarding how to deal with such things.

That's good info to know. There is much to learn. And wise words my friend about not setting my calories too low...

LOL when I was on my big project I read an awful lot of articles - both here and elsewhere... quite a few of my friends did the same... it is amazing what you pick up... we turned into self-taught "almost experts" from all walks of life... I still happen to be in touch on FB with quite a lot of people that used to be here... LOL we can read a dozen statuses and click "like" or make an odd comment a lot quicker than reading and commenting on a dozen diaries every day... we chat from time to time about the oddest of things...

It's surprising how helpful it is to compare notes. Going on facebook would be a good idea. I'm just getting used to this forum for now - and our new challenge. I see that we are on opposing teams, too bad. I hope we can still meet as friends on this or other threads... Maybe on facebook when things calm down a bit.

LOL - even though we are on opposing teams in the new challenge - I want you to do well...

I will naturally be encouraging my team mates as you will be yours... With luck - we will build enough momentum to drive us all to excellent results... I think that a key thing is to try to not lose anyone... we all waiver from time to time - and at that point it is best if other team members nag them a bit to post and / or keep up... a very successful team will not lose anyone and will all shoot for as near to the maximum exercise / bonus points as possible... they will tend to get the most in real weight lost which is what it is all about...

LOL We dont always stay in our own threads - as we have been known to pop into each others threads to either encourage people or throw down the odd gauntlet... LOL I have been known to pop in and ask if people had done as much exercise as me that day (or whether they want to be out-exercised by a 53 year old woman)... It tends to encourage the younger folk to do a bit more exercise because they didnt want that... :)

Tee hee - I like that about being out exercised by a 53 year old! I can use that one too, especially since I'm a grand old 58! Thanks for the encouragement. I will be rooting you on as well...

LOL For someone who hasnt been here long - you certainly have a nice looking ticker... 6 pounds lost is brilliant when you think of the time frame...

Get into that thread and shout the "keep up with a 58 year old" the minute any of them doesnt want to do their exercise without a really good excuse (LOL I let them follow doctors orders)...

Do it in the other threads too... With luck it will keep everyone on their toes...

Challenges really come into their own when lots of us do it... It can save a few folk who would like to ease off but want to think that everyone else is... People often thrive on a bit of competition...

Thanks - I can't wait until I have earned my big ticker back for my signature...

I replaced it with one for the 2013 project because the big one looks pretty good if you do not know that it should be at goal and was at goal... It looked so good going all the way down through 168 pounds!!!

I'm basking in the glory of a new low and a milestone at that. Under 15 stone today and under 210 pounds...

Its a bright sunny day and all is well - and my pedometer says that my steps are looking good for today. :)

Back