Cycling Club

This seems a slow thread, so I should be ok posting my picture. This is from what is no doubt the shortest cycling journey in forum history, 5 laps around my gravel drive, about 2500 ft total, maybe 1/2 mile. Today I got my first bike in over 30 years, and I have not been on one in almost as long. I was happy to find I still know how, but my muscles and butt are going to take some work to get into condition.

This is the lower end of the drive, my house to the right, my office to the left.
house bike.JPG

As I adventure further I will try to take more pictures. But I am not much of a photographer, so don't expect much.

what sort of bike? ... picture?

i have had bouts of biking a LOT... my weight loss when i was in my early 40's was 90% based on an insane amount of bike riding. hill climbing is the most effective way of using time on the bike.... about 5 to 1 or more.... (i.e. 20 minutes of hill climbing is just as effective as peddling ~2 hours on level ground).

what sort of bike? ... picture?

Its a Trek Mountain bike, my first new bike since the Schwinn I got for my birthday in about 1962. bike.JPG

You are right about the hills, that's part of my problem now. I live in a somewhat hilly area, my legs are going to take some getting used to this.

Nudgee Creek, Boondall Wetlands. 27.3552572°S,153.0842603,993°E

Boondall Wetlands Resized.jpg

While it's an environmentally important area, much of the Boondall Wetlands is a mangrove swamp and not all that picturesque. This is one of the prettier bits. The bike path crosses the creek: the photo was taken from the eastern end of the bridge looking north.

From Decker Park, Brighton, 27.283641°S, 153.064070°E, looking north north-east towards Clontarf.

Houghton Hwy Small.jpg

The Houghton Highway Bridge on the left, and the Ted Smout Memorial Bridge on the right.

I had a steep climb today along the coastal range in Humboldt County. It was so steep that I had to use granny gear on my triple crank for the first time in forever, despite putting out a respectable 200-250 watts.

Saw some unusual sights along the way, like this random zebra in a pasture:

Most people don't know, but northern California's coast is a true rain forest. Here was one widow maker - a large tree in danger of falling in the next storm:

The soil has eroded away from half of the root system. You can't really tell, but from above it looks like solid ground so someone walking on the ridge might easily fall through:

No view at the top due to cloud cover, but I did spot some deer through the mist. Saw lots of hawks too:

But the clouds/fog lifted once a ways down the other side:

Farther down it felt warm & dry - reminiscent of Kona, HI:

Had the beach to myself:

And later I did a brief trail run:

Some great pics there, Err :) Are people allowed to keep zebras, other than in zoos? What a beautiful creature it is.
Granny gear, hey?

Here is a place to post pictures from your cycling journeys and share your experiences!
I have a bone fracture in my right leg, so I will not be able to run for a while (I'm a runner). Since I can't run, I started doing indoor cycling and am loving it! I can post a picture tomorrow morning when I go for another ride. I am also trying to lose 5-7 kgs.

Back