Cycling anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truffle Monster

Active member, Cyclist
Anyone here go cycling?

I recently upgraded my bike. I used to use a mountain bike and I found it uncomfortable and therefore didn’t take it out much. I’m now using a cheap(ish) road bike and downloaded a great speedo app so I’m tracking my progress.

Today I went on my usual Saturday afternoon hike up mount lofty followed by an bike ride around my suburb. I didn’t stay out too long because my legs were aching from the hike already. 4CE7D839-39DD-4CD8-A6BE-345718DEE16B.png

Another short one tonight. I cut it short as my saddle almost ended up inside me after an unexpected pot hole

Attachments

• 2FEE8D14-2025-473D-8DD4-012B109DEFC0.png
    2FEE8D14-2025-473D-8DD4-012B109DEFC0.png
    516.3 KB · Views: 3
Fingers crossed my weekend stays wide open so on Saturday I’ll be able to take the Riesling trail instead of my usual hike ... 70km round trip. Mostly flat though so easy enough.

Well should have checked the weather forecast before my last post. It’s to be 35 Celsius so no long trip for me!

In other news just got back from a ride tonight.

Attachments

• A0EB35CB-AECC-4691-A6B0-BB423DC545E0.png
    A0EB35CB-AECC-4691-A6B0-BB423DC545E0.png
    514.5 KB · Views: 5
Another good ride, It has been a long time since I was on a bike, but used to do a lot of long rides.

thanks. I usually do 20 odd kms a night these days. Can be a bit hard to fit it in with work sometimes (unfortunately I can’t commute to work by anything other than car).

It’s good to clear the mind and refocus the brain.

keep in mind two factors this app won't be able to calculate... wind resistance and elevation changes/ hill climbing. both can have a huge impact on the effectiveness of a bike ride.
Absolutely true. I don’t mind though. I don’t take it (or much else) seriously enough to worry about that. I’m really just using it to keep me motivated.

Well that was a long day. 16 hours at work so I was going to give the ride a miss but decided I wasn’t going to break the streak.

A good ride except the padding on my new shorts isn’t quite fitted properly so now I have a sore bum

Attachments

• D284D5F5-AE58-410F-A7AC-29EC52950F34.png
    D284D5F5-AE58-410F-A7AC-29EC52950F34.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 3
A much more comfortable ride except for a close call with an I attentive driver.

Attachments

• A2CCBFC4-9705-4ED8-B32F-BD2A094FE672.png
    A2CCBFC4-9705-4ED8-B32F-BD2A094FE672.png
    522.1 KB · Views: 1
And tonight’s ride is done. Started off too much too quickly so I really faded at the end. I’d only intended to do one lap around this time but I was tempted into a second.

Another close call with a motorist at a round about ... when you’re on the road WATCH OUT FOR CYCLISTS. When you have right of way we will give way to you. When we have right of way please give way to us. We’re a lot faster than you think so we’ll be out of your way in a flash. We actually accelerate much faster than cars most of the time!

Attachments

• A8443CE6-E5D2-4760-B077-1CE30AE8FD1C.png
    A8443CE6-E5D2-4760-B077-1CE30AE8FD1C.png
    509.4 KB · Views: 0
Well I went for my usual post lunch time hike today up mount lofty. I think I’ve hit my speed limit. 54 mins up and 39 minutes down. I’ve been within 2 minutes of these times the last 8 weeks. If I jog I can get down in 25 but it was far too hot to jog today.

Time to clean my aquariums then head out for a ride I think. Don’t know what distance I’ll cover tonight. I’ll make it up as I go but it won’t be fast. :)

Wow that was eventful. Within 5 minutes of leaving the house a bloody idiot turned his high beam lights and spotlights on, swerved onto my side of the road and drove straight at me forcing me to mount the gutter then half an hour later a police officer stepped out onto the road right in front of me (obviously didn’t even look). Had I not been paying attention I would have collected him on my way through. As it turns out I only missed him by 6 inches or so!

In the end though a good ride. I wanted to keep going but my phone (Speedo and odometer) battery was going flat.

Attachments

• E9AF6F43-FE88-4486-9AA7-85C3B12AB9A2.png
    E9AF6F43-FE88-4486-9AA7-85C3B12AB9A2.png
    506.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
A lot of drivers are hostile to cyclists because there are a lot of idiot cyclists out there, you should be wearing a go-pro or similar to record your rides so that accidents and close misses have a visual record and not just a he said/she said situation.

A lot of drivers are hostile to cyclists because there are a lot of idiot cyclists out there, you should be wearing a go-pro or similar to record your rides so that accidents and close misses have a visual record and not just a he said/she said situation.
True. There are a LOT of idiot cyclists around. I actually hate driving near them but to deliberately drive AT someone is just insanity.

I’m not really interested in reporting to police or anything so I don’t really care too much about cameras. Maybe if I ever get back into long distance and I want to record my rides I might but for now ... she’ll be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back