Cutting Calories question

mzy

Hi!

I'm 6'4, 300lbs, 24 years old. I have no medical conditions, I've just spent a lot of time doing nothing (besides eating) since being laid off.

I'm considering cutting my calories to 2200 a day, eating healthy food and vegetables. Just wondering if that'll help me lose weight at a half decent pace?

I'll also walk 20-30 minutes a day.

sounds good to me! Do it for a week and weigh yourself, you can make adjustments from there :)

Welcome mzy!!

The best way to lose weight is to combine a healthy diet and engage in regular moderate-vigorous exercising at least 3 times a week!

It sounds like you're making a conscious effort to improve both your diet and physical activity!!

Like Korrie said, weight yourself, and then chart your progress. Also, you might want to take your measurements- and that way you can also see the progress in inches lost, as this is sometimes a more immediate change than weight (because you'll be wanting to also put muscle weight on!)

Another suggestion I would make to help you along your way, is to invest in a diary on here. The diary is a place where you can record your exercise, and your diet (what you ate, how much, and when). This way you record your diet, and if you're ever frustrated, or not seeing the results you want, you can go back and see if you can change something. Also, this is a great way to get lots of motivation, encouragement, tips, and advice from the community!! :)

Good luck!!!

Hi mzy welcome, anytime you cut back on your food intake you should lose weight, but I agree with Tik you should do some kind of exercises. There are lots of exercises you could do at home and maybe do come walking. Like Korrie said try your plan for a week and make adjustments if you need to.

You guys rock, thank you for the info.

I have a little bit of an update/question.

I tried this out today, had breakfast, lunch and dinner now and my total calorie intake has totalled: 1640

Quite a few less than where I was thinking, but so far I feel as if I'm good for the rest of the day. I don't really feel the need to eat anything else.

So what should I do in this case? Should I just shoot for like 1800 calories a day because it seems like it could suit me at the moment? Or should I strive to hit that 2200 mark?

Also, I just may start the diary thing. I'll look into it.

Hi mzy!

I don't know a whole lot about calories counting and such, but I can try and help! :) Did you calculate your BMR? This is the number (based on your gender, age, height and weight) of calories your burn during 24hours doing nothing!

So you want to figure that out and then see how many calories you should be reaching for! Also, if you're including physical activity (which the more muscle you build, the great your BMR will be!), you want to adjust your calories intake for that as well!

I would suggest also starting a diary on here and writing down daily what you eat, how much, and when...as well as the calorie total! You should also record your weight, measurements, and the exercises you do!

This is good for several reasons! You can look back and see your progress, or if you're finding you're not losing the weight you want, you can go back and see if you need to change anything! It also lets give you tips and advice on your progress, and most importantly, we can tell you how awesome you're doing :) :)

Based on your age and weight, your basal metabolic rate is 2747 according to the calculator at .

Adding some exercises ( they are needed ), let's say about 1,5-2 hours/day which means 500-600 calories more. That will be about 3300 calories consumed every day. If you eat under 2200 then you should lose about 2 pounds/week. ( 1kg = 7000 calories, 1kg = 2.2 pounds )

If I'm not hungry, I generally don't eat. The one exception is that if I'm very low on protein for the day, I might have some lean protein. Or if I'm low on fiber I may slog down some psyllium husk in water... although I don't really consider that eating.

Unless you're under 1200 calories in a day, you generally don't have to worry about being nutrient deprived, especially if you're eating your fruits & veggies ;)

If you start working out really hard, you might want to make the effort to eat more on workout days, but if your body is happy at 1800 calories, I'd say let it be.

Here is an update:

Since the day I posted this I've lost 9lbs. I've been eating 1800-2200 a day (nothing more, nothing less). And walking for about 20-25 minutes 4-5 days a week.

By cutting calories you will lose fat.
Good luck MZY

Back