Cramps while running

I am 18 years old and about 160lbs. I am trying to get in better shape because I have never worked out a lot. A few sit ups here and a few push ups there is about my weekly routine. I have always tried to run but everytime I tried I would have a problem with cramps in my stomach. I would run a few blocks and then a sharp pain would arise on the lower left side of my stomach area. I don't know what to do. My body can keep running but the cramps just won't let me. Please help! What am I doing wrong?

No More Cramps

As a lifelong runner and competitor, I know the woes of stomach cramps oh too well. Stomach cramping is one of the most common problems associated with running. Cramping affects beginners as well as seasoned athletes. Hydration plays an important role in eliminating overall muscle cramping, but there are some specific things that you can do to alleviate exercise induced stomach cramps. Begin your run with a good upright posture. Keep your abdominals slightly pulled in, be sure to maintain this position throughout your workout. Breathing is also very important.Establish a relaxed, even paced breathing rhythm while running. The posture and breathing techniques must be incorporated from the very beginning of your run to be effective. I've utilized these techniques for years and taught them to others, they've been extremely beneficial to us all.

Back