cramps after running

Hi, I'm a newer runner and after I have run (my runs are usually a half an hour) while resting at home I get cramps that feel like if I went to the bathroom they would stop. Sometimes (depending on how hard of a run it is) they are mild and last 1 hour other times they are excruciating and last 4-6 hours. It's not like I'm running really hard and I try to take it easy knowing I'll suffer later if I don't but they still happen? Has this happened to anyone else? Doctor's have no idea what it is or why? I would love to train for a marathon or a 5 mile race but I can't because of this cramping that I get! Any suggestions or idea's would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It sounds like you have done my first suggestion - and that would be to see a doctor. Beyond that, are you sure you are drinking enough water? How long before running do you eat? How long have you been running for and what (if anything) changed when these cramps started?

Hi, I've been running on and off for about 2 and 1/2 years. I stopped because I had a baby and then started up again when he was 5 months old. For the first while after my baby I didn't experience this, but then they came back. After my second baby I started again at around 5 months and seemed fine. But just recently the cramps have come back. I try not to eat anything within an hour of going out because I get a side ache. I do have a cup of coffee in the mornings and try to drink lots of water. I'm still quite a novice runner because of these cramps I've never really been able to see how good at running I could get. On the ob/gyn.net website I was surprised to see how many women have this happen to them. I thought I was the only one. It shocked me! Thanks for responding I really appreciated it!

Well, sorry I couldn't help more. But if it is fairly common over on the ob/gyn boards - well, I would suggest that you listen to them. As a man, I have never had to go through that one ;-) (was there for every minute with my wife though).

Hi, ya it's funny though because not even the doctors have any idea why women are getting these weird cramps? Lot's of them have had many icky tests which prove nothing and then the doctor's just blame it on PMS. (Sigh)Hopefully if I drink tons of water and maybe cut back on the duration of my runs that will help!

If I had to guess, I would say it might be related to the musculature of the pelvic floor. Much of these muscles are stretched during pregnancy, and we don't think of re-strengthening them afterwards. Hence, when we resume activity, the muscular support in that area is lacking. Try doing exercises to strengthen your transverse abdominis for starters. This is one of your abdominal muscles, its fibers run across your "tummy", so picture it as acting like a type of corset for your organs. To strengthen it, you could begin by lying flat on your back with your knees bent (feet flat on the ground, like the position you would take to do regular crunches)....then try and suck in your belly-button like you were trying to touch it to your spine..navel-to-spine. The best way I can describe how this feels, and the simplest way, is that it's what you would do if your were urinating and contracted your muscles to stop the flow. There's your transverse abdominis working. Try this and when you have gotten accustomed to the exercise, I will gladly give you a progression to further overload this muscle. Hope this will help ;) Let me know. BTW, I don't guess you will see immediate results, give the muscle time to gain some strength. I would maybe subsitute your running for another lower impact aerobic activity for the time being.

Good luck! :)

P.S.: Make sure you are actually thinking about the "stopping the flow of urine" thing...otherwise, you will simply fill up your lungs with air, and this will give the result of your belly-button sinking, but won't be a contraction of the TA. ;) Hint: even after you have filled your lungs with air, you will still be able to perform further navel-to-spine...(through CONTRACTION)....

Sorry for the long post ;)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for reply. Sure I'll try it and let you know what happens! Thanks again

Back