Covid-19 ... coronavirus ... thoughts?

overlandflyer

our president is claiming the coronavirus will go away when it gets warmer. Covid-19 is in Australia... right? isn't it summer in Australia?

day 4... i haven't been outside since Monday when i went food shopping (for a few weeks...!). being retired has a nice perk. probably go out for a walk eventually, but it's also been raining for the past 4 days.

how is it effecting you...?

It shut down my workplace (at least for now) and I can´t work from home, so... I´m retired as well for now.

I think your president and our PM live in their own little Lala land. They have absolutely no idea. It's time decisions about human health were put in expert hands.
I don't see how warmth is going to kill a virus. We may all get it to some degree or another, but hopefully, we or the ones we love, will not get seriously ill. Meanwhile, I am concentrating on washing my hands even more often. I am going on a plane next Friday and think I will wear one of my masks and possibly silk gloves. I have some wipes to wipe down surfaces & my hands. I scratch my face a lot when I am out because of allergies & my eyes stream whenever I play golf, for the same reason. I am going to go through a lot of tissues.
When we get home & I am hoping travel between states will still be possible I will be staying home as much as possible. If the event gets cancelled before we fly I will be relieved.

i've been trying to think about some positive side effects this virus will have. right off i can think that drunk driving will probably take a significant dip. no driving to bars, no driving home from bars.

on the negative side, i can't help but feel there will be a surge in depression which might lead to an increase suicide rate. even i have started to feel a bit of isolation in only a little over a week now. not that i'm not used to spending a few days indoors, but up until now it's been my choice. one of the drugs i take is an immunosuppressant, though it is a low dosage... and i am over 60, but only a few years. so i'm not really worried, but certainly far from feeling settled for i'll eventually have to go out for supplies again... and again.

and if you are like me and not really sure what a ventilator is/ does...

ventilation_nih_main_0.jpg

quite a bit more complex than i thought... does anyone actually think some manufacturer is going to gear up and start producing these things in time for the serious demand that's going to hit in a matter of weeks or even days?

We cancelled our trip yesterday, even though the event was not cancelled. Since then a state of emergency has been declared here in Tasmania in an attempt to contain it here. Anyone entering the state will have to go into quarantine for 2 weeks. We have the advantage of being an island state. There will not be enough respirators/ventilators for everyone that might need them, so staying away from other people & being as safe as you can is the best bet.

our president is claiming the coronavirus will go away when it gets warmer. Covid-19 is in Australia... right? isn't it summer in Australia?

day 4... i haven't been outside since Monday when I went food shopping (for a few weeks...!). being retired has a nice perk. probably go out for a walk eventually, but it's also been raining for the past 4 days.

how is it effecting you...?
That's a really wrong statement. Anyways, eating healthy may help you to fight against all kinds of infections. Eating healthy will boost our immunity. But going out to get food is risky. I get my meal delivered to my home by spam link removed They take all the precautions and deliver me a 3-time meal. And I do home exercises, so overall Im good. Eat healthy and stay hydrated.

now that coronavirus testing has finally begun after being stalled or non-existent for over a month from the mishandling of this debacle by the Trump administration, i've started keeping track of the local county...

San Diego Coronavirus cases by day 02.jpg

Got an email last night from Shanghai, a guy I have worked with off and on. He told me that things there are starting to return to normal. New cases are way down and people are returning to work, shops are opening.

Hope that's a sign of things to come.

Not directly Corona, but Youtube thought this might interest me at this time anyway - and it did!

^^^^ such a frank discussion about what to do with all the dead is chilling to hear, but i fear it will be the norm in a few weeks.

i started making a graph of our county, total positive tests...

coronagraph.jpg
still too early to see if the trend remains exponential or simply lacking the number of tests available to make it valid. we had the 2nd death here yesterday.

i haven't been out food shopping since the 9th and i'm now out of nearly everything. planning on hitting the market when it opens this morning. i've never prepared so much for a shopping trip. been making a list for the past two days.

Last edited:
back from food shopping. stunning to see how much was missing. still cannot understand the toilet paper thing. paper towels and cleaners all gone. all the soups gone. no eggs. i got the last whole chicken and some steak (no ground meat) that i will grind up later. no almond flour (drat...!). but i managed to get ... drum roll... COFFEE FILTERS..... :party:...!!! ... i was down to my last 3.

luckily there was plenty of fruit and vegetables.

Stores are fully stocked again here. Right now if you want to know how any place (with adequate healthcare) is really doing relative to other places I suggest comparing deaths instead of positive tests.

i'm sure it will get better soon. a friend of mine did give me some insight to the TP shortage. he noted that there might be another thing people miss about their morning routine at work. ...enough said?

it also occurred to me, though, that a number of people are perhaps having to cook at home for the first time or at least more than just special occasions...?

:iagree:... that's a good information site.
i should probably add... this is just my county.
had a good size bump-up today, 55 new cases...

coronagraph 02.jpg

Flyer, what do you think of Trump's done by Easter plan? It's sounding to me like he is saying that we should just declare success and then let the virus spread.

I am not sure he is wrong (or right) I know the virus kills people, but have no idea how many it will be. The current shutdown is causing a lot of stress on folks and the economy. Poverty is a cause of death, poor people die earlier, and a recession will make more poor people. Depression can lead to death and I think the shutdown is increasing depression. Do you know if anyone has taken a realistic look at the trade offs? I think our president is only interested in how all this will effect his chances of reelection.

i heard an interview with someone who used to work in the federal pandemic office when we had one. he said something that was very telling about our situation now. in all the scenarios they went through, none of them considered that a test would not be readily available.

i will admit, even though i have plenty of things to keep me busy or entertained, two weeks of practically no face to face communication is getting to me. many of my local friends are simply people i run into many of the days i'm out. the majority, i have little or no idea how to get in touch with as i don't even know much personal information other than their first name. i've been a hermit for a few days occasionally, but up until now it has been my choice.

commenting on Trump will only get me upset .... he seems bent on only one thing ... trying to convince anyone who listens that it took everyone by surprise (it didn't), nobody ever thought something like this could happen (they did) so whatever happens, it's not his fault.

Back