Covid-19 ... coronavirus ... thoughts?

heard a great line from someone on CNN yesterday....

consider combining cooking with home schooling.
with some out-of-the-box thinking, while baking you can cover topics of reading, math, chemistry & art.

Just finished watching the Queensland daily report, No new cases again today, and the three yesterday came from an overseas cruise ship. National parks will re-open next weekend.

three days of a downward trend in hosp and ICU cases, but i've seen this before.
anyone NOT see this coming...?
designer masks.jpg
...color coordinated, designer masks.
there's also matching yoga pants for the complete, trendy pandemic look.

latest local stats. compared to many large cities, we seem to be doing better than most. 4100 positive tests but still increasing at ~120/ day on the average. testing is still lagging, so that stat is not the most important.

hospitalization and ICU patients are the best early indicators of a trend. can't see a downward or even a plateau yet. not one day in the past 6 weeks with a negative delta/ change...

coronagraph 03.jpg

hospital cases are fairly evenly split, 50.8% male.
150 COVID-19 related deaths in the county.

Today's stats in Queensland posted below. case total for my local council area is still 4 and all of these were either cruise ship cases or people returning from international travel, early in the year.
covid cases.gif
testing-covid.gif

... day 4... i haven't been outside since Monday ...
wow, that seems like it was months ago... wait a sec... it was.

unfortunately i have the mind of a scientist. i make decisions based on facts, not emotion. Trump is only concerned with his image and with his reelection. no decisions at the national level have been based on science and even when it is considered, the rosiest picture is painted. when you have unknowns, you plan for the worst case and hope for a better outcome. this tenet seems lost in the mind of a reality show host.

i feel bad for the negative effect this shutdown is having on many individuals, but this may be the absolute worst time to let emotions rule. when the shit hits the fan, as it likely will with the unfettered state openings, do you think i am looking forward to spending another 2-3 months in isolation?

wow, that seems like it was months ago... wait a sec... it was.

unfortunately i have the mind of a scientist. i make decisions based on facts, not emotion. Trump is only concerned with his image and with his reelection. no decisions at the national level have been based on science and even when it is considered, the rosiest picture is painted. when you have unknowns, you plan for the worst case and hope for a better outcome. this tenet seems lost in the mind of a reality show host.

i feel bad for the negative effect this shutdown is having on many individuals, but this may be the absolute worst time to let emotions rule. when the shit hits the fan, as it likely will with the unfettered state openings, do you think i am looking forward to spending another 2-3 months in isolation?

I like to think I'm the same way, though to be honest the prospect of staying inside for the rest of the year is really depressing. I've also had to unfriend some people on Facebook because they kept posting conspiracy theories and utter nonsense about Coronavirus.

Well put Flyer and Matt. Way too much "utter nonsense" and too little good science. We have some hard choices about how to move forward, the only way to make good decisions is no nonsense science. The science is coming available but we have to use it. Problem is that takes good leadership, which I believe is sorely lacking, here anyway.

heard a great line from someone on CNN yesterday....

consider combining cooking with home schooling.
with some out-of-the-box thinking, while baking you can cover topics of reading, math, chemistry & art.

As a side note. Wouldn't it actually be a more effective way of teaching these subjects? I know I would have loved to get such practical application skills in school.

The response here in Australia has not been perfect, but then I see what is happening in other places that make the response here look good. This Sunday in my state some of the restriction will be relaxed further with new infections each day staying low or non existent. The response in Aus has been coordinated between the states and now NZ but with each state removing restrictions based on caseload and the ability to contact trace cases.

My husband works at a local high school, and is looking forward to the grade 11 and 12s returning to face to face classes on Monday, he works in the science department and a lot of the required experiments for the senior years cannot be done at home.

They are interesting stats. I wish they were doing more tests here in Tassie though, especially in the NW.

on the lighter side... if you ever played golf, you will probably enjoy this even more.

COVID-19 temporary rule changes for SD public courses.

On Course
  • Bunker rakes, ball washers and benches have been removed
  • Cups are raised slightly to allow for no-touch retrieval of golf balls
  • Flagsticks must remain in the cups at all times

As a side note. Wouldn't it actually be a more effective way of teaching these subjects? I know I would have loved to get such practical application skills in school.
i've designed a few model train layouts and every time i use trig to help plot the centerline of a curve to tangentially intersect a straight track, i think about how i'd like to go back to HS math class and admit, "ok, maybe this will come in handy some day." ... :)

quite an amazing video on a few points... it was made in Oct 2010 & posted a few months later... and look at the number of thumbs up/ down... a fair indication of how many people have actually watched this. if you have little time, jump to 10:00.

beautiful... Trump administration pulled the 5 year NIH funding for the projects in China Dr. Daszak was working on.... the coronaviruses in bat species. is there nothing this egomaniac won't do to quell voices that oppose his political views at the expense of lives now...?

Bat-borne coronavirus researcher speaks out after Trump administration cuts funds

Back