Chronic Shin Splints aren't going away - Treatment tips are Strongly Appreciated!

Hey guys, I'm an avid footballer but have been really struggling with shin splints for the last 3 years and it's starting to negatively affect my everyday state of mind so I really need someone's help to treat them. They started up after I was studded in the shins in a match. I received acupuncture therapy from my physio last year and that made them a lot more manageable, but after I stopped going to my physio they receded to their previous state.

I train (120 mins) and have a game (90 mins) every week but my work rates and performance severely drop 15 minutes into a session as a result of the pain from shin splints. My fitness is also horrible as a result of me taking it easy on the pitch and in training (due to the pain from the shin splints), but I'll go into this in another thread (I am also aware I can get fit without running via cycling/swimming but don't like either of these so I'm putting it off). I recently learned that I wasn't stretching my calves properly and have now started to stretch them properly, as well as doing heel raises before sessions.

I've taken ibuprofen before sessions to kill the pain I get when I run but I'm trying to avoid long term ibuprofen use for obvious medical reasons. I'm now taking krill oil (as it's been proven to aid with shin splint recovery) and have been recommended to get vitamin D and calcium supplements as well to strengthen my shin bones. I am also considering playing in a more social football league so my shins aren't as busy during sessions. Going back to my physio for more acupuncture is also a possibility. I'm aware that my shin splints could lead to a stress fracture which is why I'm trying to treat them asap.

Is this a decent treatment plan? I'd really, really appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice as to how I should go about with treating this injury as it's affecting my football and consequently really getting me down.

Thanks guys! :D

Extra info:

18 years old, 5'8, 70kg, diet is alright but could be better,
I drink several bottles of water during a session, several cups before and after a session, and an alright amount the day before a session,
my sleeping habits aren't good, I get around 5 hours on average during uni and 9 hours on holidays, I sleep late and wake up late (if I have the option to)
also quitting football/exercise is out of the question unfortunately

One thing to add is stretches for the muscles across the shins themselves, where the damage is.
This would be gradual or static stuff, no bouncing. Have your foot rested top down on a chair or similar, knee bent, leg aligned, use your body weight to generate the stretch.
Stretching is something lacking in most peoples routines, so you are not alone.

Otherwise appears good. Others may be better placed to give guidance, especially jrahian.

I feel like you've received quite a bit of convoluted information. A lot of what you're doing is helpful, but there are other things that won't do a whole lot for you either way.

Stretching the calves is vital for shin splints, yes, as the tight calf muscle is what's pulling on your shin bone and causing pain. The other thing to do would to not stretch the front of your shins as well, but to strengthen them instead. (So do toe raises instead of heel/calf raises.)

Acupuncture is a one-shot quick fix that won't help you in the long run unless you address the biomechanical issue that's causing your injury. A good physiotherapist should be able to provide you with rehab exercises as well instead of just poking you and sending you off.

Krill oil, as far as I know, is barely better than regular fish oil (which has the use of simply helping decrease the inflammation response) so you may want to save your money.

Shin splints do not increase the risk of stress fractures.

Jrahien

Just wondering on this one here. Would you say strengthening and stretching muscles across the shins would be advisable? As far as I remembered the combination was always better than strengthening alone.
I was more than a little dim not suggesting the strengthening side though, which I should definitely have known.

Meh, stretching the front of the shin won't hurt, but those aren't usually muscles that have flexibility problems. Muscle imbalance injuries are usually a result of one side of the joint being shortened, tight, and stronger with the other side being lengthened and weak.

I would advise you to do physiotherapy exercises in a regular basis and consult your physio in regular intervals of time.And please avoid ibuprofen,that's not good for health.And of course eat well & sleep well....

I'd also suggest talking to your physio again to get some ideas of exercises to help strengthen. Another suggestion is about footwear. Certain football boots and trainers that aren't as supportive can cause shin splints to feel worse. It might not make much difference but something to look into.

Back