Certification Recommendations and Advice, Please

Hi everyone,
This is my first post here. I'm a guy in my 50s who's always been active and continues to work out 5x a week. I also am a naturally inclined teacher in whatever I do. By that, I don't mean that I'm a know-it-all, but that I enjoy finding answers to problems and I empathize with others when they don't understand a process or idea. I enjoy explaining and mentoring.

Putting these two together, I've come to the conclusion that I might like to explore becoming a fitness coach for older adults who are trying to get into or stay in shape, with an emphasis on functional movement, flexibility and balance.

I was wondering if there are certification programs that are known as emphasizing this area of fitness coaching, and in particular, if there are any that are more highly regarded by those in the fitness profession. I'm in the U.S., if that matters.

Also, is certification the best way to go? My thinking is that a good, formal program will fill the gaps in my knowledge and help me earn some credibility. Would you all agree?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

--- Tommy

I'm in Canada, so I'll apply what I know as best as I can.

Certification is important, rather than just taking a program that teaches you without certifying, as that certification is what gives you the insurance to train.

As for which cert to get, it doesn't really matter all too much. Some certs will be good for just one state/province only, some are good for the whole country, and some are good between both the US and Canada.

Most clients don't know one certification from the next, so to them, it doesn't matter at all which one you have. Employers, however, will often look for a certain one, so it's best to do research in your area to see which one is commonly preferred.

Just, whatever you do, please do more than take an online weekend course.

Thanks Jrahien. I appreciate your advice, and yes, I'll stay away from the weekend courses. :)

(I didn't see your response, so apologies for not writing back right away.)

Tom

I'm in Canada, so I'll apply what I know as best as I can.

Certification is important, rather than just taking a program that teaches you without certifying, as that certification is what gives you the insurance to train.

As for which cert to get, it doesn't really matter all too much. Some certs will be good for just one state/province only, some are good for the whole country, and some are good between both the US and Canada.

Most clients don't know one certification from the next, so to them, it doesn't matter at all which one you have. Employers, however, will often look for a certain one, so it's best to do research in your area to see which one is commonly preferred.

Just, whatever you do, please do more than take an online weekend course.

Hi Tommy,

I work for a personal training course provider in Australia and recommend getting your certification. I'm not 100% clear on the US qualifications but in Australia you must complete a Certificate III in Fitness to just work on a gym floor. It will provide you the confidence and latest knowledge that you can then pass on to others as you enjoy doing :)

Not only that but good pt course providers will have Job Guarantee program to ensure you have a job when you finish your course. Here is an example of our Job Guarentee program: . Plus, working with a quality provider creates opportunities for you to get involved in the fitness community in your area and work with other fitness professionals.

Our courses deliver the theory of the certification online so you can study around a busy schedule. Then the practical component is delivered face-to-face so you are getting real hands-on experience. Try find a provider that does the practical in a real gym and not in a classroom. You'll find the experience far more rewarding.

It looks like NASM is a large provider in the US for pt courses. You may find more answer to the US qualification requirements on there website nasm.org.

Hope that helps you and good luck on your fitness journey!

Matt

Hi Tom, I am a U.S. based trainer and have received certifications from ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine), ACE (American Council on Exercise), and NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association). Given your background and what you're looking to do, I would recommend exploring the "Health Coach" certification offered by the American Council on Exercise. This is an accredited certification and if you decide to go further with your education, you may also obtain the "Senior Fitness" specialty certification also offered by ACE. Just know that you would have to obtain the "Health Coach" certification (or any other NCCA accreditation certification) first before obtaining the "Senior Fitness" specialty certification. Any accredited "Personal Trainer" certification will include curricula regarding the training of seniors but I feel ACE's "Health Coach" certification is the most aligned with what you're looking to do. I hope this helps.

Hi Tommy,

I have been qualified for a number of years and there is a really good company to get your basics through at least anyway - Origym Centre of Excellence (although this is UK) - not sure if that matters? They are really helpful, its quite cost effective by comparison to some of the others and its 0% interest if you need to spread payments.

Back