Cardio Machine for Under $400?

Hello everyone, I am looking for an at-home cardio machine for under $400.

I know this doesn't leave me with a lot of options, but I am trying to save money so I can get out of my parents house :p.

I currently bike in the summer, but the snow is coming soon. I have a floor space about the size of a queen bed to work with - and I honestly don't know what I want, or what will work better.

I'm open to suggestions on bikes (can someone tell me the difference between the types of stationary bikes? recumbent, spinning, upright, etc?) rowers, etc.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

I would say that the best machine in that price range for a new product is a recumbent bicycle. Recumbents are solid in this price range and if you have back problems, a recumbent will alleviate any stress in that location.

If you opt for something used, you can investigate elliptical trainers. You need to determine the model number/brand. Check the ratings on various web sites and Amazon.com to see if they are worthy. "Test drive" the machine before you buy. Try out the motion, stride and check if the machine is stable while riding.
Craigslist, local "Trader" Newspapers, and classified ads are helpful.

Ebay is great but shipping is a consideration for exercise equipment. Local pickup of equipment is useful on Ebay but those are rare.

Skipping ropes are good. They are real cheap and you have money left over for other stuff!

Other than that I would go for a rowing machine. I dont know prices where you are though.

I'm open to suggestions on bikes (can someone tell me the difference between the types of stationary bikes? recumbent, spinning, upright, etc?) rowers, etc.

Since you already have a bicycle, a trainer or rollers that you can put the bicycle on will be more compact and portable, while being less expensive than a stationary bicycle. If you bicycle a lot, then you may prefer how your bicycle fits compared to how most stationary bicycles are set up.

Note: if you do put your bicycle on a trainer, you can save old tires that are too thin for use on the road for trainer use. This will get additional mileage out of your tires without crashing if they blow out while on the trainer, while saving your good road tires for use on the road. It would not be as good to do this on rollers, since you could crash if the tire blows out.

Back