Cardio gets boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tspizzle09

I love going to the gym, but 30 minutes through cardio (roughly halfway) it tends to get boring. I mix up cardio routines so my body doesn't get used to one type, but I have pretty good endurance for a guy my size and I want to use that to my advantage by doing longer stretches of cardio. Any tips for making things less boring?

just switch it up continuously so that it has some variety. I don't think the human body was meant to go for 30 minute runs at the gym all the time. Or maybe, but either way, I'd vary it up to keep things more fun as well.

Cardio can become very boring and repetitive but thankfully running is not the only way to raise your heart rate. Have you tried doing High Intensity Interval Training, also known as HIIT? Don't be scared of name. Believe me, the results you gain are pretty great.

Here are the Benefits of HIIT:

Time saver- You burn more calories in a way short time. What you burn in 30 minutes of running at one pace you can burn double in 10 minutes or less (depends on intensity)

The Real Secret to burning fat fast - Not only do you burn more calories during a HIIT workout, but the effect of all that intense exertion kicks your body's repair cycle into hyperdrive. That means you burn more fat and calories in the 24 hours after a HIIT workout than you do after, say, a steady-pace run

You Lose Weight but Not Your muscle - Again your burning your stubborn fat right off.

Let me show you the workout I use: ( this can be done on a treadmill or bike or even running outdoors)

0:00-5:00
Warm up, moving at a slow pace.

5:00-6:00
Go all out, pushing yourself as hard and fast as possible.

6:00-7:00
Active recovery: Catch your breath.

7:15-18:30
Repeat minutes 5:00 to 7:15 five times.

18:30-20:00
Cool down.

This even saves you 10 minutes of your time. Try it out. tell me what you think. I promise you, you WILL notice a difference.

Last edited:
Record everything, like calories burned and miles. Uploadable software works. What is recorded gets done. Stationery bike linked to simulated video ride helped me, I never let a woman pass me! :bigear:

If you can, do your cardio outside or get a partner (or do both!!!). In-door cardio is grindingly boring.

If you still have to do it inside, you can either break it down to smaller sessions, mix different exercises, or add short intervals that are a bit harder to keep things interesting.

Note, by intervals I don't mean HIIT. Add intervals that are slightly harder but still aerobic work.

Oh my....Cardio again? that is what I always say to myself...but I try to change it up as well and I try to do more Yoga in between. Nothing gets me sweating more than Yoga. Also, I always have earphones on as well. Makes my time go faster. Try walking on a treadmill backward. To me, that is so hard but it is worth it. Hope this helps!

I find gym classes are a more fun way to get cardio in ;) my current favorite is Les Mills body attack :) I also do body combat, body pump and spin classes ;)

I'm going to go with jpezz in recommending HIIT. Personally I don't do more than 30 minutes of cardio at a time, usually only 15-20 minutes because that's all you need with HIIT, and i hate jogging for long periods of time. I used to jog at a steady pace for 45 minutes, but I switched to HIIT and I got waaay better results.

As everyone else has said, doing cardio outside, like biking in the wilderness, jogging with a friend or swimming is a good strategy. Also, if you're on a treadmill, elliptical, etc. you could do stuff like read or watch TV while you're running. You could also take classes so you're forced to exercise the whole time with everyone else.

Hello, so I am going against everyone here and say drop to 20 mins max. Too much can slow weight loss and cause you to burn less calories. Not to mention bigger people running can damage joints. Also after so long of cardio your body damages and eats muscles. I really doubt your diet is so balanced to handle the work load.

I'm not a runner. (I've had TKR surgery) I have to stay on low impact equipment.
I too find anything over 45 minutes too long.
I try to break thing up a little.
Mon & Wed, typically 45 minutes on elliptical. These vary steady or interval sessions.
Tues & Thurs : alternate depending on mood & equipment availability 20 minutes on either stair climber, or arc trainer,
followed by 30 minutes on weight machines.
Fridays : HIIT cardio, 1/2 hr on elliptical.

I also struggle with cardio. I mix up my workout routine.

2x a week I'll walk for an hour in my neighborhood
1x a week I'll play raquetball
1x a week I'll go to spinning

The other days I do an arm/core day and then I'll dedicate a day to legs. Then I have a rest day. I find the variety helps me stick to a cardio schedule.

I assume you listen to music? That helps me a lot. But it is what it is. Just have to force yourself.

If it's getting boring, then that means its time to ramp up the intensity! That or find a rival ;)

Have you considered doing your cardio outside of the gym? Maybe go on a ruck one day and listen to an audiobook! For low speed cardio, I enjoy listening to audiobooks of all sorts. Especially when I'm going more than 10 or 12 miles!

i suppose this topic never gets old... :)

am i wrong in thinking that cardio (cardiovascular exercise) is anything that gets you off your butt? i rejoined the local Y a few months ago, and i can see how it can become boring after a time. frankly i have access to another pool now and i'm thinking of dropping the Y when it gets warmer this month. there are plenty of other things i do outdoors and all of them involve some sort of movement. the other great thing about getting involved in active hobbies is that they often take you away from the fridge! solving boredom with food is a dangerous habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back