capoiera

I started capoiera a couple of weeks ago and I'm LOVIN' it! In fact, I love it so much that I wish to focus all of my fitness goals on. No more worrying about having washboard abs or looking huge just to impress chicks. Pure soul power man.

Anywho, I just had a few questions that I was hoping u guys could answer. Like, what kind of a diet should I be working through? If I still plan on lifting, what kind of exercises should I do?

I still would also like to get bigger b/c i'm kinda small. LOL. I mean, look at Lateef Crowder. Dude's HUGE and he's still good at the sport.

http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/1956628/HH/1956628/iid_1217546.jpg.html?hint=group

Capoeira, where they are jumping off buildings and ****? That stuff is awesome, i remember watching youtube videos and wanting to do that, but back then i was a fat ass so maybe now I'll get into it though I have no idea where to start

haha no thats like free running or something, capoiera is a brazilian martial art that is somewhat of a mixture of dancing and fighting. It's still really sick though. Good luck with that, I wish capoiera was available here.

Capoeira, where they are jumping off buildings and ****? That stuff is awesome, i remember watching youtube videos and wanting to do that, but back then i was a fat ass so maybe now I'll get into it though I have no idea where to start

Thats parkour matey patatey

Capoeira is "breakdance fighting" although it's much more than what it appears to be.

Having a certain type of diet won't make you a more skilled capoeira player. You might play differently and favor different moves if you had more mass, sure. But all diet can do for you (taking for granted some factors) is make you lighter or more massive, in the sense that diet will affect your capoeira game. So if you do want more mass, then eat and lift. Same formula as always.

Capoeira is "breakdance fighting" although it's much more than what it appears to be.

Having a certain type of diet won't make you a more skilled capoeira player. You might play differently and favor different moves if you had more mass, sure. But all diet can do for you (taking for granted some factors) is make you lighter or more massive, in the sense that diet will affect your capoeira game. So if you do want more mass, then eat and lift. Same formula as always.

Thanks LeiYun! However, isn't there certain foods(more healthy) that if you eat over time you will be in better shape conditioning wise? I know size doesn't matter in capoiera, but wind and endurance does.

Last edited:
Size doesn't matter because, for the most part, it's all non contact. However, having a lot of mass compared to being very light will make you a different player. You don't HAVE to be one thing, is what I am saying. If you want to be big and buff, you can still do so. Being big and buff and being good at capoeira aren't mutually exclusive.

The foods that you should eat are all vegetables, fruits, and a lot of protein. You should stay away from junk. It's all very general because this is a very general question.

Today I practiced capoiera kicks against punch mitts. Great for working on coordination.

After doing that for about an hour, I was told that capoiera was getting cut short for today. Then some huge dude named Justin came up and introduced himself to me. He asked if I wanted to stick around for what he was about to teach. I agreed-and today became my first day of MUAY THAI.

I practiced muay thai today for 2 1/2 hours. I first learned the basic stance. Then, he showed me and the other students some drills that we practiced over and over again. At the end, we ended up sparing against one another for a good 1/2 hour. It was an intense workout!

So, yeah-I'm definitely not going out tonight because I am tired and my shins are sore. Peace.

Wow-it's been a while

Might as well resurrect this thread. Over winter break I got the movie "Only the Strong." It is pretty much the only capoeira based movie out there and stars Mark Dacascos. Pretty good movie as well as good capoeira. Frank Dux is the fight coordinator. Highly recommend it.

CAPOEIRA is.... a way of living!
a mix of martial art and dance a friendship and hapiness and a lot more than 2-3 things!
happy all those who have discovered it!

Have a look at my website, enjoy and tell me your opinion!-->
[video=youtube;QP2OQIOqTOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP2OQIOqTOE[/video]
View attachment 5431

Attachments

• linkedin.png
    linkedin.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 1,705
You might be looking at someone doing parkour or free running, capoeira is still acrobatic, but it's essentially strikes centered on legs using different body parts as your base, not just your other leg or the air.

If you want to build more muscle, I'd recommend seeing sixpackshortcuts on Youtube and looking at the muscle you want to work. As for food, get foods that are non genetically modified and with less additives. If you don't know the ingredient, you shouldn't eat it, that's how I don't kill myself as I cook for myself in school

If you are doing Capoeira make sure that you take a lot of fish oil or any other anti-inflamatory. This martial art is notorious for destroying your knees and back. Look after yourself.

Back