Can't Lose Weight, Doctors Not Helping

Skydawg67

Greetings everyone. New here and desperate. I am a 53yr old male, 6'1". I am a type 2 diabetic brought on by weight gain. I also have sleep apnea, I use the CPAP when I sleep. I was also diagnosed with panic/anxiety disorder with Agoraphobia when I was 21...but I am dealing with that pretty well these days. Up until 2013 I weighed between 220-250. I was "ok". Something snapped and now I'm over 400lbs, and I just can't take it anymore.

I have dieted, fad dieted, tried whatever. I exercised, lost 50 and gained it right back plus more. The last two summers I swam 1000yds a day, ate very little and still couldn't lose the weight. I had a resting heart rate of 66. My BP was 117/78. My A1C dropped from 9 (yes at one point it was 9) to 6.1, I had to change meds as I was getting ill from low sugar. I was the healthies fat man I've ever known, I was in better shape them my 11yr old twins and my 14yr old son.

I was very active as a kid, I weighed 155 pounds til I was 24. At 24 I gained a lot (206lbs), I dieted and exercised and actually gained 20 pounds of muscle, dropping back down to 175. I was skinny, like I said I'm 6'1". I played basketball, baseball and football in highschool, exercise doesn't phase me, I like it. I don't see many post here anymore, hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance.

One of the biggest factors in weight loss is consistency and routine. Being bigger does not always mean unhealthy, however in your case the diabetes is still a problem. swapping and changing "diets" does not help, slow consistent changes you can maintain and live with is better than a particular "diet" most diets work for some people but a specific diet may not work for all people. we are all individuals.

You have the added disadvantage of your age, as we age it does become more difficult to loose fat, but not impossible.

I would suggest you start a thread in the diary section to log your current diet and exercise each day so you and other members can see where potential changes can be made so you can progress towards your goals.

Welcome to the forum, Sky! I agree with Tru that only that which you can do for the rest of your life will be effective for the rest of your life. Pretty much every diet will "work" if you're able to stick to it so the key is to find one that suits your needs. Exercise is great but in the end what you weigh depends mostly on what you eat so your daily diet has to be a) healthy enough to nourish your body, b) calorie-balanced to help you reach/keep a healthy weight, and c) enjoyable enough to maintain for decades. I hope you start a diary so we can follow allow with your attempts, celebrate your successes, and cheer you on when things are sometimes tough.

Hi, Sky & welcome to the forum. :iagree: with everything Tru & LaMa said. The diary section of the forum is the most active of any of the threads. Finding something that suits you & is sustainable long-term is the go. We’ll give you lots of moral support along the way :)

good

Back