C-Section Pooch

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsFitBehavior

I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but this c-section pooch is still hanging out.

I am wondering- will my body fat percentage just have to be way lower than it was before in order to lose (at least most) of this dreaded c-section pooch. Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't have any personal experience (obviously), but I believe that it just takes time for your body to regain it's original shape. Losing weight doesn't mean that your BMI (ie. muscle content) is back to where it was. You may actually have a higher body / fat % than you did before ...

From what my doctor has told me, it's not so much your fat content but how your skin is. Basically think of your belly like a balloon and baby is the air. Baby comes out and balloon deflates. Now, there's some leftover fat that you lose - balloon deflates more - but it's still crinkly and stretched out so the skin covers the scar...Some people find their stomach does go back - personally, I'm jealous of those people. Some people don't or it takes years for it to go back. Age, genetics, skin condition, how much weight you gained and how big your stomach was are all factors - so there's NO way I could say "yes you will bounce back" or "no you won't" with certainty. Your stomach muscles help keep everything together but they won't really change the condition of that skin.

I definitely had the pooch - or "healing ridge" as my OB gyn called it. Although my weight was the same as pre-baby, it definitely was more of a noticeable pooch, so yeah, you might need to lose weight for it not to be so noticeable! I lost 20 lbs and the pooch is gone. I can still notice a tiny "ridge" there but just because I know it's there. I can still wear a bikini, whoohoo. What is your weight, are you trying to lose weight currently or just trying to get ride of the pooch?

So you had to lose an additional 20 pounds in order to lose it? My weight is 160 at 5'7 and I'm pretty muscular, except for my lower stomach. My upper abs are showing through now.I think I need to lower carbs and cut all sugar in order to see any more improvement. How long did you have yours before you lost it?

I definitely had the pooch - or "healing ridge" as my OB gyn called it. Although my weight was the same as pre-baby, it definitely was more of a noticeable pooch, so yeah, you might need to lose weight for it not to be so noticeable! I lost 20 lbs and the pooch is gone. I can still notice a tiny "ridge" there but just because I know it's there. I can still wear a bikini, whoohoo. What is your weight, are you trying to lose weight currently or just trying to get ride of the pooch?

Lowering carbs and cutting sugar isn't any more or any less effective then cutting out a piece of chicken. Calories are calories when it comes to weight.

The type of food you eat only has a real impact when it comes to building / maintaining muscle and getting proper nutrition. The more "in shape" you get, the harder it is to get those final pounds off. A friend of mine is a fitness model and she works out 1-2 hours / day, 6-7 days a week to maintain her shape, but getting there, she was doing 2-3 hours / day. Guys in similar shape work even harder to build size ... it's not an easy road and the pressure they put on themselves (mentally and physically) isn't necessarily good.

So you had to lose an additional 20 pounds in order to lose it? My weight is 160 at 5'7 and I'm pretty muscular, except for my lower stomach. My upper abs are showing through now.I think I need to lower carbs and cut all sugar in order to see any more improvement. How long did you have yours before you lost it?

I'm 5'6" and was 150 - now I'm 130. My daughter is 2.5 now. I did do like you mentioned - I increased the protein in my diet, reduced sugar and cut out a lot of carbs (didn't realize my diet was so heavy in them) and processed foods last year and started a pretty solid workout routine last January - it took me 4 months to lose 20 lbs. Portion control was important for me too. I'm trying to see if I can upload a picture of B&A so you have an idea. It won't let me upload picture, so I just posted one on my blog and will put the link here.

https://jodipriceblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/updated-before-and-after/

I didn't have a C-Section but I still have the pouch... Granted this is probably because I'm just fat. But after 2 pregnancies I'm convinced it will never go away.

It will go away, but you need to work your tummy are. If it’s your only child that definitely helps in possibly getting things back to what they were. Remember it took you 9 months to make a baby, things won’t happen over night. I’ve had 3 kids and I can def see the changes in my body now good luck!

I'm not sure if this helps anyone but I gained a ton of weight and my pooch hung by my thighs after I gave birth(ew). Now a year and a half later it's just slightly over my scar. If I wear a high wasted bikini nobody would even know.
The biggest help for me has been:
Buying a small exercise ball (like a bouncy ball but won't pop if you sit on it) and rolling on it to help with the scar tissue after c-section.
Wearing a belly band post op.
Leaning against the wall and trying to reconnect to my tummy muscles. You should try and squeeze them in not suck them in. It's to get your brain connected to that muscle. It'll be frustrating because it won't feel like your making progress but you are!
And of course diet and exercise. Lots of running and walking
I was 130 pre-pregnancy gave birth at 198 and am at 150 now. I'm 5'3" 24 and have always had tummy stretch marks from puberty. So even before being down to pre-pregnancy weight I'm almost rid of my pooch. And the numbness is going away too. Keep at it! It's hard work but you can do it. Mine was horrible and with hard work it's almost gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back