bmi vs body fat percentage

I was wondering about my BMI. My BMI is 28 which is overweight, which I am, so it is accurate there. My body fat percentage was coincidentally also measured as 28%. The thing is, although i know i have more fat than the average person,I also think i have alot more muscle than the average person (although I am not sure). What I am wondering is: is there a way of knowing my percentage of muscle? maybe from these calculations. Do people with a BMI of 28 normally have this amount of body fat percentage?

BMI is a meaningless measure since it is just your weight divided by your height. It does not measure how much of your body weight is fat. Many very fit people (with low body fat) have a BMI which rates them as obese, and many insurance companies and government agencies use the BMI as an unflexable rating of your fitness. If it is accurate body fat measurement is the best indicator of your body makeup. There is no way to determine how your remaining body weight is broken down between muscle, water, bones, internal organs, nervous system, etc.

Back