Bike vs Eliptical

Bike or Eliptical

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So Im in the market to buy either an eliptical or bike. Which one do you guys think is more benificial? I like the bike better since it takes up less room too, but will it work my butt and whole thighs good?

I have a good little recumbent stationary bike I am looking to get rid of. No jokes. Send me a pm. ^_^

But generally speaking, cardio is cardio. I prefer a bike to an elliptical in the entry-level price range because as you say it takes up less space, and is much less likely to fall apart on you.

If I was restricted to those 2 options, I would get the bike just because it seems you can get a better workout and out of personal preference.

But I have an even better idea: How about buying a real bike, for less, and get more? You'll have a much more intense exercise session if you actually go bike outside in the hills, plus the scenery couldn't hurt

But I have an even better idea: How about buying a real bike, for less, and get more? You'll have a much more intense exercise session if you actually go bike outside in the hills, plus the scenery couldn't hurt

I like this idea, but I would instead of doing it with the bike, do it with the eliptical... however you can figure that out.

I love phate89's idea of getting a road bike. You have so many more options. I have a road bike that I put on a trainer in the winter when I can't get outdoors to ride. The trainer came with a tension dial for added hill climbs. My heart rate gets way up there when I'm indoors on the trainer esp. during HIIT workouts. Yup, I like the bike idea better too...and yes, what a great butt, thigh and leg workout.

Generally speaking, I agree with what Phate's saying, but in my personal experience, I prefer the stationary bike.

Biking outdoors introduces all sorts of other elements. Suddenly you gotta have a trail to ride on, and pay attention to everything, so you're not falling headfirst down a hill or getting hit by a car. Weather becomes a factor (and maybe even an excuse :p ). Variables such as intensity, duration, etc. are harder to control and/or track. You also can't, say, watch a movie or occasionally check on your children while on a real bike, outdoors.

OP: In the end it will come to personal preference

Biking outside

Pros
Scenery, nature
Tougher workout, sweat more

Cons
You have to find a path ( shouldn't be hard if you live near the valley / mountains )
Half way through you can't just say " oh Im done, good workout" you gotta finish it ( more like a pro ? )
Can't watch tv ( if can watch tv and understand whats going on your not peddaling hard enough lol )

And inside exercise, is pretty much the opposite. Though it is nice to know you can jump off the bike and be 10 steps from the shower.

Though I run with the family, my main cardio is from my stationary bike. I prevent getting bored through being extremely active with my hands by performing various forms of plate weight cardio, and using the stationary bike during "active rest periods" for short burst cardio by placing some weight on my thighs and/or performing plate weight cardio. I tend to like the privacy and self meditation. My entire motive is the purpose and goal at hand, and nothing else. No TV, No reading, and the amount of intensity I require, wouldnt allow it anyway.

A staionary bike can serve the goal purposes just fine, but it will come down to your personal preference.

Best wishes,

Chillen

Last edited:
I like this idea, but I would instead of doing it with the bike, do it with the eliptical... however you can figure that out.

how bout you tell me

anyways dam this is tough I googled bike vs eliptical and the eliptical came out on top as a full body workout. But for myself I will be weight training as well so whats best I guess is what I can stay on the longest. Therefore I;m leaning toward the bike. The eliptical makes my feet go numb after a bit - but Im sure my butt isnt going to enjoy sitting after LL THATS what I do for a living!!!! Ugh still unsure! I want cardio and toning in one simlified too much to ask?:p

i like the real bike idea, but depends on where you live to get a good workout

Well she lives on LI. If she's on the north shore then there's lots and lots of hills around to give a great workout. If she lives on the southshore it's mostly flat but the north shore is only 20 minutes away. Lotsa cyclists use the LIE service road out here too. Miles upon miles upon miles of road.

So Im in the market to buy either an eliptical or bike. Which one do you guys think is more benificial? I like the bike better since it takes up less room too, but will it work my butt and whole thighs good?

Make this a bit more interesting. Include links to models you want to buy. If it was down to me I would buy neither an elliptical or exercise bike and get a kettlebell instead. However I have seen in the local paper an exercise bike around the price of a pizza so I would assume exercise bikes are cheaper than ellipticals.

Generally speaking, I agree with what Phate's saying, but in my personal experience, I prefer the stationary bike.

A road bike and a training stand give you the option of bicycling either inside or outside.

Or generating electricity:

I suppose those who are over-analytical can say a bike is good for dynamic cardio days while an elliptical is good for max-effort days. ;)

I like my elliptical. I think I might be tempted to be lazy if I were sitting down

Back