Best thing for cardio improvement?

Hi,

I haven't been around the forum for some time now and I'm sure there's already some thread about this but I couldn't find it.

I need to improve my cardio performance, it's the thing that's limiting my weightlifting training. With heavier loads I run out of breath 2/3s into the routine and I need to take long brakes to recover. I'm reaching "cardio failure" (Knock on the wood, but you know what I mean...) a lot faster than muscle failure.

So I was thinking on getting something like a treadmill of a stationary bike to work on this problem. Running on the street is out of the question, I'm only able to work out at night when I get home and I live in a not so safe urban area. I've been recently mugged, so I'm also still a bit sensitive about this.

So anyway, and considering the difference on prices, what do you think is best for this goal? A treadmill (and it would have to be an entry level model...) or a stationary bike? Or someting else?

Thanks a lot guys, cheers!

A jump rope.

I do tabata style jump rope a lot and it has been great.

If you wish to bicycle, a regular bicycle and a trainer or rollers will be more useful (you can also bicycle outdoors) and convenient than a stationary bicycle for home use.

If you wish to bicycle, a regular bicycle and a trainer or rollers will be more useful (you can also bicycle outdoors) and convenient than a stationary bicycle for home use.

Another thing I didn't know about, those rollers. And it would be a great way to give some use to my bicycle. Thanks! But I'm going for the jumping rope, tabata style, on my offdays. Now I need to get used to it, I almost cracked my skull the last time I tried to use one :D So maybe no tabata for the first week or so...

here is me doing a lil jumpin!

welcome to the jumper club! LOL!!

here is a great jumping game.

try for 3 straight double jump minutes. meaning speed rope for 3 straight minutes.

everytime you miss, you have to drop and do 25 pushups.

two things will happen...
first your arms will get tired- LOL! then you will start to focus... otherwise you miss, then you gotta drop and give another 25 pushups.

then,,, ditch the shoes... bare toes do wonders for jump ropin skills!

FF

Nice video, and you can place some gypsy music as soundtrack, would look great! :D Here's one:

Regarding the game, I think I'll pass for the first months! I'm awful with the rope, good thing I tend to train barefooted! :costumed3:

Ok, so I started :animal3: today... Man, now I realise how much I have been neglecting cardio! This was so hard for me I ended up throwing up after 6 or 7 minutes, honestly! Besides, FF, your little game is up there with the spanish inquisition ;) !

But this Tabata style thing is great, my lungs were opened up for a long time after training, I could also feel my heart going strong for a long time. I kept sweating even after shower, so metabolism is really pushed by this thing.

Thanks again guys! :costumed:

Back