Belly problem

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice. I started working out a little over a month ago. When I started I was 105lbs. I'm now up to 117lbs and it seems like my stomach and love handles are getting bigger, not smaller. I'm not doing a whole lot of strength training so I'm wondering where this weight is coming from. I do the treadmill (alternating running and walking because I have a heart condition that makes my heart rate get excessively high sometimes) for at least 30 minutes then do multiple ab exercises (various types of crunches (some with a medicine ball), leg lifts, etc), a few strength training machines for arms and legs on low weight settings just so I can have leaner muscle, and some stretching to cool down. I'm in the gym for a total of 1.5-2 hours 3-5 times a week. My diet hasn't changed at all since I started (I am on a high fiber diet though) so I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I'm okay with the weight if its muscle but in definitely not at all happy with the belly. Help please!

If you gained 12 pounds in a month it is almost certainly not all lean body mass. Long slow exercise sessions are known to stimulate fat gain. As a general rule of thumb there is no reason for the average person to spend more than 45-60 minutes in the gym per session. Anything more leads to overuse, stimulating cortisol production and fat gain. In a simplified explanation after an excessively long workout your body expects another long slow workout and tries to prestore enough body fat to fuel that long slow workout tomorrow.

Also, contrary to the general perception, resistance training generally is more likely in the vast majority of individuals to stimulate the production of lean body mass and the reduction of fat than long slow cardio sessions. Read the stickies under fat loss and beginning weight training on this site for more info and guidelines on how to create a good routine for balanced strength, fat loss and cardiovascular health.

I finally realized that this weight gain was due to a change in medication. I'm on a med to slow down my heart rate which is also slowing down my metabolism. So now that I figured this one out, any suggestions on exercises to get to of belly fat and love handles? I know I have some abs under there but now there's this "tire" as I call it around my waist and I want to get rid of it ASAP haha

List of exercises helpful in getting rid of belly fat and love handles: running, swimming, bicycle crunches, reverse crunches, planks, side planks.
Swimming and bicycle are the best one for belly fat,but everyone should consult before going through these,go according through your health issue.

To target belly fat plan two different workouts to be done on alternate days. Include exercises like: Bar-bell rollout, ab crunches, crossover step-ups with dumbbells, long arm, vertical leg and exercise ball crunches- all of which you should do 10-12 reps for first few weeks and then increase. Captain’s chair leg-raise is another great belly busting exercise you can include.

Exercise is an important part of being healthy, and also important in achieving the physique that you want. If you don't exercise and are just dieting, you can still achieve good results and be healthy looking - but if you add exercise into the mix you can see results a lot faster.

Try to eat foods which will help you to burn belly fat along with high intensity workouts which focus on your belly fat like circuit training.

Medication is a tough one to overcome even when doing all the right things. Sucks to work hard and not get improvement. Either way you are getting healthier, keep it up!

Try more Abdominal Exercises & Cardio Exercises for belly fat loss. Take proper nutrients and fat burner to boost your weight loss metabolism and fat burning capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back