Beep test 10.1 help please.

Hi everyone!

I hope that I have come to the right place.
I need some help with the beep test.
Long story short I need to get to 10.1+ on the beep test. (To join the police force, but I would be damned if I'm only just passing!)
I keep on constantly getting to about level 8 then it feels like my legs are going to fall off.

Here is what my running routine used to be like:

Mon - 5km run in 26 minutes (keep improving on time) (5 min rest / water break) then 1.6km in 9 minutes. Both runs include fairly steep hills.
Tue - Beep test then sprints. Run as fast as I can from start of 180m line to finish, then walk back half way and sprint till about 1/4 away from start line walk and then sprint back again as I get to the line. (10x)
Wed - Same as Monday
Thur - Run as fast as I can from start of 180m line to finish, then walk back half way and sprint till about 1/4 away from start line walk and then sprint back again as I get to the line. (10x)
Fri - Same as Monday.
Sat - Same as Thursday.
Sun - Rest.

Now I've changed my running routine to this:

Mon - Sand dune sprinting (5x) ; Soft sand sprinting 10 reps @ 100m each ; 1km beach jog to cooldown.
Tue - 8km long run @ 10km/h pace. (10 min cooldown stretch)
Wed - Plyometric work (20 mins - includes frog jumps, side jumps, squat jumps)
Thur - 8km long run @ 10km/h pace. (10 min cooldown stretch)
Fri - Sand dune sprinting (5x) ; Soft sand sprinting 10 reps @ 100m each ; 1km beach jog to cooldown.
Sat - Tempo run 5km @ 12km/h pace (15 min cooldown stretch)
Sun - Rest day

Warm up on all days consists of:
Stretching (15 min each time)
Cycling 2km (5 min each time)

What am I doing wrong, where is the weakness that I need to improve upon to get to 10.1?
This is the only thing stopping me at the moment and it's so frustrating and disheartening.
Help please fellow athletes!

Not sure I would do sand running unless the event is on sand. I would however reckoned some interval work to get your endurance up, similar to your sprint walk, but with sprint jog instead.
Bleep test is also a technique test, practice it, ideally weekly. Don't start fast with breaks at the end, learn the pace of each level and be at each line for the beep, not before. Only one foot has to cross the line, if you want to take advantage of this do a turn on your final step so your foot crosses the line in a position ready to take of the other way, do this from the start. Crossing with your whole body and turning wastes energy, so don't do it.
Your training is predominantly long runs, which is good, I like doing them, but you need to be able to run on the surface you will be tested for that equivalent distance, so increase sprint training on whatever surface you need.

Back