Beans Beans good for your heart...

beans beans they make you... Oh we won't talk about that...:rolleyes:

But I've been having fun with beans this week - -they taste good, are filling, and have oodles of fiber... Some of my creations this week...

Black Bean Salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper

Let marinate in fridge about 2 -3 hours-- -serve...

Had them one night as a side dish with broiled chicken,, the next day as breakfast in a whole wheat tortilla.

Pinto Beans
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 shallots, diced (a sweet onion would work well too I think, or a red onion)
1/2 an english cucumber, sliced lenghwise, then in half then sliced - so i have quarters of cucumbers about 1/4 of an inche thick
3 tbs lemon juice

Let marinate in fridge for a few hours - serve

This is a side dish for grilled halibut... and lunch leftover in a oatbran pita...
(i also figure this would be really good with some tuna fish thrown in as well)

Last edited:
These sound great, Maleficent! I love beans. That black bean salsa...I'm thinking of mixing in some left over brown rice and rolling it up in a soft tortillia...and I actually HAVE leftover beans in the fridge....

:)

the black bean salsa recipe was adapted from another recipe -- that called for corn in it - instead of celery -adnd also called for a bunch of olive oil which it didn't need- the tomatoes were really juice and I had no corn in the house so I improvised.. and it ended up being really good.

I also added in a minced jalapeno pepper or two to give it some extra crunch and heat...

That would actually be very tasty ina burrito..

Fava Bean Salad

1 can fava beans, drained and rinsed
1 package grape tomatoes, quartered
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 tbs olive oil
Juice of one large lemon
1 tsp cumin

Mix all ingredients together and chill - makes 2 large lunch servings, or 4 side dish servings.

Served in Boston Lettuce cups, so that it's like a burrito...

Serving Size: 1 serving
(based on a 2 serving recipe_

Amount Per Serving
Calories 438.1
Total Fat 16.0 g
Saturated Fat 1.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 10.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 1,040.3 mg
Potassium 568.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
Dietary Fiber 20.0 g
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 19.2 g

beans beans the musical fruit the more you eat the more you toot!

i love beans my fave food atm! i love beans on toast, i think if i eat any more beans iam going to turn into a bean Lol

i tried a recipe for baked beans the other day
can of beans
toast
honey
chilli
coriander

basically you put all the ingrediants in a pot apart from the bread you toast that, add only a little honey as you dont want it two sweet and add chilli to taste you may not like it to spicy

i found this was a nice filling meal for me to have at lunch

Last edited:
Lunch this week...

Tuna Salad
1 can tuna, chunk white in water
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 10 ounce jar of artichoke hearts, in water, quartered,and rinsed (a can would work too buut I like the jarred chokes better)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/2 capfuls of newmans own lite raspberry vinagrette

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl -

Server over boston or romaine lettuce

makes 2 large lunch servings

Nutritional Info

Calories: 435.2
Total Fat: 12.3 g
Cholesterol: 31.3 mg
Sodium: 1,565.9 mg (this is somewhat off, as the beans are rinsed, as is the tuna and artichokes but gotta with what the cans say)
Total Carbs: 29.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 15.1 g
Protein: 30.7 g

Yeah beans rule. I haven't had much time or energy to make an "official" bean salad, I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel. But I always have a can of Glory Foods low sodium black eyed peas and cut green beans ready to go as a salad topping. Amazing what 2-3 tbsp of beans can do to perk up a pile of greens.

maleficent that tuna salad looks great! i will have to try that one day. i actually think that in the uk we have somethink similar in a can already made but it doesnt have the articokes in it and its mixed in a tomarto sauce! as iam not a bit fan of tomartos iam nore inclined to try yours out soon!

Hummus

a can of garbanzo beans, drained, plus most (but not all) of the juice to make it blendable
2 Tbl or so from a can of tahini that's been allowed to settle for, oh, about 10 years, then had 2/3C of sesame oil poured off of the top.
2-3 Tbl lemon juice (2 isn't enough, 3 is too much)
1/4 tsp cumin (1/2 tsp is too much)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (fresh would be better, if the fresh we happened to have didn't look so much worse...)
1/2 tsp salt (less would be enough, but none wasn't enough)

Put into the food processor until it's smooth and delicious. I hate chickpeas, and this is good.

Makes about 2 cups. A full batch has 634 calories, 13.4g fat (1.7g saturated), 105g carbs (20g fiber), 28g protein.

Reactions: PLB
Beans are also known as legumes and pulses. are of different kinds, Black,Garbanzo (chickpeas), Kidney, Pinto all kind of beans contain a lot of fiber, and it has to be used mostly in Food, Salad.

I love beans.We make curry with them by chopping into small pieces,cooking it on steam, after that frying on stove with 2 spoons of oil,some jeera,mustard seeds,salt,mirchi.Grinded coconut add extra taste to this.
Is double beans also good for health?

Beans. You've probably never heard of cholecystokinin, but it's one of your best weight-loss pals. This digestive hormone is a natural appetite suppressant. So how do you get more cholecystokinin? One way, report researchers at the University of California at Davis, is by eating beans: A study of eight men found that their levels of the hormone (which may work by keeping food in your stomach longer) were twice as high after a meal containing beans than after a low-fiber meal containing rice and dry milk. There's also some evidence that beans keep blood sugar on an even keel, so you can stave off hunger longer. Heart-health bonus: High-fiber beans can lower your cholesterol.:D

Soybeans, green beans, sweet peas, chickpeas, lentils, fenugreek seeds, peanuts, clover sprouts, rooibos tea, honeybush tea, astragalus root powder, and all common beans are all extremely healthy-to-eat members of subfamily Faboideae (edible legumes) in family Fabaceae (legumes).

Back