baseball team

Ok, i was training a baseball team until they started playoffs. NOw that they are over is there any specific training i should do with the team now that the season is over or should i just let them break? the team is a bunch of 15 and 16 year old boys. I dont let them get carried away with the weights already. I do a lot of plyometric training with them. I am not that creative sometimes just wondering if there are other things i could do for them? thanks...

During the off season a good all round conditioning program would be good. Try some body weight exercises, like pushups, pullups, parallel bar dips, reverse pushups, etc. Most important for baseball is good flexibility and trunk strength, for hitting and throwing. The one muscle group most important for hitting is forearms. The wrist roller is the best piece of equipment for that purpose. You can buy one or make one yourself from a 1" diameter piece of dowell with a screweye to attach the rope and a snap hook on the end of the rope to attach weights. A flat surface to rest the forearms on to isolate them is good, but not necessary. A set of bleachers or a picknick table found on most playgrounds can suffice for that. You can kneel on the bleacher step and rest your forearms on the seat, while allowing the weights to hang below the bleachers. One set up and down with arms both pronated and supinated with about 3-4 feet of rope daily is all that is needed.

Hi Kristyxox,
I've been playing for over 20 yrs (to the college level) and now coaching age groups anywhere from 12 - 17.
In the off-season, we do a lot of plyometrics and plenty off body weight exercises as dswithers suggested. Two of the most important areas that we focus on are the hips/stomach and quads. A lot of the power developed in the hip rotation comes from your legs.
For the arm, as long as the weather is good, lots of long toss (double the distance from 1st -> 2nd). Also, attaching surgical tubing to a pole/wall and threading a baseball threw the other end is great for the rotator cuff.
If any of the kids have stopped growing (there should be a couple at that age group), don't be afraid to get them into some light weight training (high reps). .. good luck.

hmmm...

Well I guess its a thing of opinion. Some people dont believe in things for baseball like benching. Some people say do it, some say dont. I think for baseball you should do overall body condition. Work out your shoulders and pecs light. But work forearms w/o a doubt. Also do core strength exercises. Leg press, squats. Abs is very important for EVERYTHING. Hitting - you have to put your BOOTY and Torso into your swing to get the ball to jump off as well as you want it to. Pitching/Throwing- when you throw you must twist hipps and torso. The CORE is very important in baseball training. Speed drills are important also. Speed and Agility is very useful in baseball. I'd do stairwell work. Like bunny hops skipping a stair. Running up 3 flights of stairs 2 times skipping stairs. Things to help conditioning and strength. Work lower body heavy, upper body lighter. Hope that i have been some help to you KristyXox.

but, never forget the wrist ... it's more important than most people realize. I was able to get an extra 3 miles on my fastball after only working on my wrist for a month + 1/2 ...

Hey this is great everyone, the new season is about to start again, and i have been looking up new ideas and training techniques to enhance their level... everyone so far has those same great opinions! thank you so much!

the hardest thing about ALL sports is trying to keep up with current trends ... there always seems to be new ideas and old ones are no longer valid ... that is, until another couple years and it comes back :)

Back