Are you a gym member?

When I was down in Florida 2 years ago I was with Bally's for about 6 months. I then moved back up to Savannah, Ga and came across a $124 annual membership at the local Powerhouse. Just renewed today for another year but this time at $199. They told me that they did not make any money off the $124. I tried to find the contract because I was going to write the corporate to see how they are able to renig on the contract. However, I can't find it and $200 for a year is still not bad.

How about you?

I also have a set of dumbbells at the house along with an exercise bike.

I am a member of a local gym and pay WAY more than $200 :( I pay $150 just to be a member (pretty much gets me use of the bathrooms ;) then another $350 to actually be able to use the equipment and take the classes!! Not many choices in my area though.

I used a gym a few times when I was a member, but I would rather spend the travel time running or actually working out. So I run for my cardio and have a fairly decent weight system at home for all of my strength training needs. It doesn't give me the variety of a gym, but it doesn't give me the hassle of one either. Total expence was about what I would have paid for a 1 year membership around here, and I have had it for much longer than that.

I pay $240.00 a year at the local gym (used to be a Gold's, but they did not renew their franchise last year). That's about the least expensive I've seen around the Boston area. I find it much easier to workout when I am out of the house. When I try to workout at home I am always interrupted or distracted by something. At the gym I have the support of and interaction with the other members as well.

I pay $33 CDN/month or $400/year to Gold's (~24.50/month = ~300/year US) ... I'm pretty happy with that, but my old gym (different city) was $25CDN/month and it included full access to the squash courts and tanning beds :(

Yeah, if I could find a good place to play raquetball I would probably have to seriously think about getting a membership again... But I can't so I don't.

All these sound pretty inexpensive for a gym if you ask me. What sort of amenities are included? Just free weights, selectorized, and cardio equipement? Are classes extra? Are these membersships all inclusive or can you purchase partial memberships. Just curious since I work at a athletic facility.

Hybrid, $240 a year is pretty inexpensive in Boston, or any large city for that fact. Most likely, they have a copy of the contract on file. If you were to ask I'm sure they would show it to you. If not, I don't know that I would want to do business with someone as sneaky as that. Not very good business ethics.

Hey Kalrog, back in the 70's when I was a student at UT, I used to go to a place called Texas Athletic Club somewhere near downtown Austin (9th and Nueces or somewhere in that area as I recall). The guy who owned it lived upstairs and made most of the equipment with his arc welder out in the backyard. That was before Naultilus when a selectorized Lat machine was about as fancy a machine there was in most gyms! I think we paid $5 a month for dues. Most of the state powerlifting champions worked out there and my training partner placed second in the Mr. Texas show one year (I placed 11th, I remember because they gave out trophies for the first 10 places).

I go to a great gym! It is $59@m but that includes everything. All the machines are hooked up to a computer they count your reps and how hong each movement should take. They also tell you weight that you lifted last time and reps last time. Oh and you seat ajustments. It also stores everything you do so your PT can keep track of what you do. They have a sound proof yoga room and tons of other stuff. Can you tell I love my gym?:p

I go to an awesome gym called FLEX TOTAL FITNESS...used to work there...I pay 260$/year CDN...and the place is great...so really not expensive ;) Love it!!!

damn all americans here :p
well i'm from antwerp, belgium, and I pay 400 dollar each year for full membership (including spinning, sauna, tae-bo, a technogym weight equipment) etc. :)

Hybrid

I too joined a PowerHouse for $124. They didn't tell me and I didn't ask but the $124 was just an introductory rate. I will be asked to pay $180 for a renewal. PowerHouse isn't the best facility in the area but it's by far my favorite.

DM

I justed joined 24 hr. fitness about 3 months ago. My husband has been with the gym for over 3 years. I mainly worked at home on various machines for about 6 years before I joined. I'm glad I joined though because, like my husband said, I get a better variety workout at the gym. I do about 10 different machines and try to go back to them at least twice doing 3 sets of 12 reps each. I haven't really seen any improvement yet but I was already in pretty good shape since I bicycle and walk every morning. I have slowly been increasing my weight on several machines but some I can't seem to increase. We go three times a week mainly for strength training and I joined for 3 years so I know I won't quit.

UK (England) prices:

average: £35.00/month ($756/year)
very good: £30/month
cannons: £45/month ($972/year)

There can also be a £60 ($109) join fee payable even with breaks in subscription (i.e. if on holiday/vacation or on business for a month).

Lower rates may be possible in London. YMCA are also the cheapest but my local is stinky with no air con (my only essential req. from a gym).

The prices are horrendous and there's no one undercutting the prices to bring it all down. A natural price fixing of about £35/month seems to be the standard and is prohibative to all but the more dedicated such as myself (3+ visits a week).

...never-the-less most people sign up for a year and never go.

Back