Anyone switched from running to cycling or something else following injury?

Hi
I'm new to here and first time posting so hi :) Although my post starts with injury related info, my question is around running and cycling, so hopefully posting in the right place :)

2 years ago I was running 3 times a week (treadmill) about 3-5 miles a time.
I am naturally a fairly fit person, good muscle tone and ride horses too. At the time I was training to do the great south run.

Over a period of time I noticed my left sacroiliac area felt tight when I would stretch. To cut a long story short this got progressively worse, resulted in me stopping running and having it investigated. I did go to a Physio and thu found sensitive areas, but nothing they did improved it.

Mri's, CT & X-rays later thy found a tear in the disc at L4/5. I've had a spinal epidural, cortisone into the disc and left facet joint, but to no avail.

Having been referred to a 'pain doctor', he wants to inject my left sacroiliac joint, which is where I've always said the pain is, and feels if he can reduce the pain in any way, this will indicate the offending area and he can then go in and freeze the nerves, i then become pain free and can get back to what I was doing.

This kind of makes sense, although the root cause of this worries me as this came about when I'd done a lot of tunning and if I go back to it what unknown damage am I do?
I also have a slight natural leg length difference and have wondered if it is this that has aggregated my left sacroiliac area?

So, I've been weighing up switching to cycling, and read with interest the cycling versus running post, and guess a lot of what people have posted has recently gone through my mind in relation to the pro's and con's of both. My mind tells me that cycling will probably be better, but nothing else has such an overall effect and shapes all the right areas is women want.

Ate there alternatives, I know cycling produces great leg and flute tone, but you have to work a lot harder and longer to get the results than if you run. Could I cycle and add leg squats and lunges to help with muscle tone? What about a cross trainer for low impact but that also captures core and arms?

Sorry for the long post if you're still with me, just a miserable realisation that quitting running may be the way forward :(

If you think you have to work a lot harder and longer to get fit with cycling than you do with running then you didn't comprehend the cycling vs. running thread well. I suggest you read it again, and learn more about both sports.

Your miserbale realization may flower into something wonderful. I personally know tons of former runners who are now cyclists and they love it.

And cross training with weights and whatever else is not only fine but recommended.

So when you're done with your misery, do some learning.

Best of luck.

Back