Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyJo

My sister-in-law is expecting her first baby and she was asking me the other day if I had any friends who had babies and successfully lost their post baby weight, and whether I had any tips I could give her.

I'm not a mommy myself and I was sorry I couldn't give her any suggestions. Does any one here have any advice I could pass on? Anything that you know is particularly good for mothers? Or something that worked well for you?

All advice appreciated thanks :)

I know a bunch of women who lost their baby weight. It came down to good old fashion hard work and eating healthy. One of them took up jogging and lost 50lbs. She's pregnant again, hehe. Others have done various things but they all involved exercise and eating well. Thats pretty much how its done.

it took me a while to get into a serious weight loss groove. i was breast feeding and "they" say it takes longer to lose weight, I gained nearly 50 pound during pregnancy and lost 1/2 soon after delivering, I stayed that way til my son was 3 b/c my new schedule just took over my life, i enjoyed my mommy time, now it's toddler time. i still felt good about myself and remained energetic but i was finally ready at his 3rd birthday. My advice: be sensible, enjoy mommyhood most of all.

Lisa

for me it was jumping on the treadmill jogging every day newborns sleep A LOT and keeping my eating in check it came off really easy but it was hard work .. i actually think its harder now that my son is 5 months old cause he sleeps less and needs lots more attention

Loosing wheight after birth

The best way to loose wheight after a natural body process is by using natural means.

Breast feeding is the first sure fire way to pull your muscles all back together:nopity:. You actually feel it working as you feed.

I lost wheight by eating healthy right after, avoiding carbs and walking. Treadmill may get exhausting and you need to rest as baby rests so waiting till he sleeps to excercise is sure suicide, you'll be too tired to feed him when he/she gets up!!!

I had excellent success with Atkins and South beach, in fact I lost all my wheight and then some within 3 months. Due to breasfeeding, the wheight comnes off really fast and you may find you have to eat extra to avoid loosing too much!

Good luck and please put baby first:

Hey I thinks there is some good advice in there. I'm going to pass it on to my sister-in-law.

I thought the idea about exercising whilst baby sleeps is a good one, but I can understand that a new mother needs to ensure that she is well rested too.

I had excellent success with Atkins and South beach, in fact I lost all my wheight and then some within 3 months. Due to breasfeeding, the wheight comnes off really fast and you may find you have to eat extra to avoid loosing too much!

Congrats! Once you'd lost weight with those diets did you find that you were able to keep it off and maintain your weight?

Atkins and South Beach

I have always been able to maintain my wheightloss with the atkins and South beach but its hard work. I have had to change my whole lifestyle and permanently change my diet. My daily meals and snacks revolve around the low carb theory. I also have to excercise and keep close watch on the scales. The moment I add a pound, I make up for it right away over the next 3 days. So its hard work all the way, and harder the older you get.

I thought the idea about exercising whilst baby sleeps is a good one, but I can understand that a new mother needs to ensure that she is well rested too.
Lilly -most doctors will suggest that the mother to be exercise whilst pregnant - as it makes the delivery easier if she's in better shape - Now that doesn't mean she should go out and start training for a marathon -but regular walking or yoga are both good things to do (provided she has clearance from her doctor - never get medical advice from an internet forum :D

My sister-in-law is expecting her first baby and she was asking me the other day if I had any friends who had babies and successfully lost their post baby weight, and whether I had any tips I could give her.

I'm not a mommy myself and I was sorry I couldn't give her any suggestions. Does any one here have any advice I could pass on? Anything that you know is particularly good for mothers? Or something that worked well for you?

All advice appreciated thanks :)

As Maleficent said, working out while pregant ( with doctor permission) is common. Here are some videos:

Gabrielle Reese did one that follows her through her pregnancy.

I wish I had been cleared to workout while pregant. That wasn't an option for me because I had twins and they are considered a high risk pregnancy. Took them to term though :D

take care,
Diane

Not sure if you are interested in using a program, weight watchers or whatever
but there are alot of them out there that will help you with support and info. I'm a mother of 2 and managed to get back to the weight I was before being pregnant with a system called yummymommy. Basically it tells you to do short burst exercises and tells you how to make meal plans and stuff. Kids are great ... they just trash our bodies =) ... I made a squidoo lens on it Check it out if you want ... SQUIDOO LINK REMOVED

Nice to hear that.. i am breastfeeding..my baby is 8months old..does breastfeeding really help in losing weight? i grow hungry and very week after every feeding..i always eat after feeding..is that bad?

Shay

After giving birth to my 3 year old son, I had some difficulty regaining my original figure back. While attempting endless unsuccessful diet routines, I found that running/walking a mile a day was some help with my weight loss plan, but it just was not cutting it! I found that since I was not motivated and confident in myself, it was holding me back from what I was capable of acheiving. So, I started my own personal motivation plan where I would reward myself with a piece of jewelry (I LOVE jewelry) every time I reached a weight loss goal. Every time I lost this amount of weight, I would treat myself to a reward to symbolize my accomplishments. This motive of mine boosted my motivation and confidence because it enabled me to realize that anything is possible.

While searching for jewelry ideas on the internet, I came across this wonderful Jewelry Information Center called - It's an all around fantastic site that is basically anything you need to know about jewelry (think care tips, gift ideas, history). It was very helpful for me when deciding my piece of jewelry upon finally reaching my weight loss goal. I'd advise anyone in need of some jewelry 101 to check out this site. You can also post your own personal story of a piece of jewelry that is significant to you in the Shared Stories Section, which I think is a really positive and inspiring way to share and exchange how your favorite necklace or ring, for example, came to be. I plan on posting my success story for all to read; hopefully my diet routine is of some help to others! JIC also constantly has different sweepstakes going on, and for really stunning pieces of jewelry. During their sweepstakes, you get entered in just by submitting your story - it's a win win!

Best of luck to all!
Mel

Exercising while pregnant is important and eating well while pregnant is really important too. Not just for the babys development but for your own health. Women should not use the pregnancy as an excuse to start indulging or over eating. you aren't actually eating for two, the baby is not that big. You need to increase some things in your diet but they should always be healthy. Icecream and candy or fried foods is not going to help.

I lost all my baby weight within a few weeks of having both of my children. However I worked out the whole way through my pregnancies and had an excellent diet.

While at home I breastfed, walked everyday with a baby in a pram and did some exercise dvds in front of the tv when the baby slept. It's important to stay active and get yourself into a routine, and if you can work it around your kids it can be really rewarding.

Just a reminder,it is important that before exercising,you need to consult your health care provider.I am not a health care professional but i think one of the most important form of exercise is walking.It is safe and easy to do.

Exercising is a good idea while pregnant (as another poster said with the doctor's advice of course!), which was something I didn't do sadly. I wish I had looking back as it would have made things a lot easier! Just being careful and watching the things you eat, being careful not to give in too much to some cravings and such are all the obvious ones. After of course you have to balance keeping your energy up looking after your new little bundle while trying to get back into shape. It can be difficult though I think it varies for different people but it's not impossible. I didn't think I was ever going to get my figure back but I did in the end so never give up hope! :)
I'm writing a blog at the moment so I can share my personal experiences with others but I'm finding it hard to find time right now with holidays coming up and trying to look after John! You can see what I have so far but I warn you it's a work in progress!

Tell your friend not to worry though, as long as she takes good advice and stays healthy, happy and motivated I'm sure there won't be any problem! xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Just go the site mentioned in my signature's .
You will find quite a lots of useful information which your sister can follow right from her kitchen and her garden . No gyms, no weight loss diets involved.

The more popular the forum, the more spam you'll get. I think us mods to a good job of getting to it and removing it in a timely fashion :)

Never said you didnt. Mods do a great job but it's too bad we see so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back