Another endurance question....

I have a similar question to the recent "how to build up endurance?" post.

I am 39, good physique and generally athletic all my life: played hockey, tennis, soccer, mountain biking, ski, former pro skateboarder, etc. Most of these were when I was younger though. The athletics I do now don't require as much endurance, you can always quit when you're exhausted (ski, bike, hike, tennis).

Four months ago I started a taekwondo class. I absolutely love it, and it's seriously kicking my ass. I love the workout, I've almost broken some toes, probably will eventually, and getting pretty bruised up. I'm soar all the time but I feel great.

The part I am worried about is sparring. We sometimes spar with 2-minute rounds: constantly bouncing up and down, shuffling you're feet, hands up blocking, throwing kicks and punches, getting hit/kicked. You can't just stop.

Almost every time, I reach a point where I have the reflexive stomach gag and almost vomit. It's like extreme training where you sprint until you puke. It's not exhaustion where I simply fall down, breath heavy. I literally gag, and if I had anything in my stomach I would barf right there. It's a bit stressful. I bow out, and need several minutes to hold it in, recover and regain my composure.

My fitness has improved a lot in the past few months, but the cardio and endurance is a whole separate battle. I can't do treadmills, they bore me to death. Is it an endurance issue? If yes, how can I train for this? Is it diet? I generally do not eat much for several hours before. If anything, yogurt or fruit. Will improved endurance relieve the tendency to gag/puke? Is there a root physiological cause?

I don't know much about serious training or how to deal with this symptom. Thanks for any guidance...

I'm a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and my guess is that it is less of an endurance issue and more of a stress issue. You are tense and the adrenalin is pumping; this will cause that sick feeling in your stomach. Focus on being relaxed and loose during sparing. Don't clench your fists and keep your arms relaxed. As Ali once said “Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee” It’s good advice!

If you want to also improve your endurance then do some HIIT but staying loose & relaxed during sparring is the best advice I can give.

Thanks for the reply. It could be that - our instructor is aware of my response to long sparring, and often tells me to loosen up and stay relaxed. I probably clench up a lot, and as a (high!) white belt I have no experience with sparring so it's all a bit chaotic. I'll have to practice how to jump around and be nimble, but also relaxed.

Back