An over-thinkers question regarding Creatine.

Hi guys.

I have a little question that has been nagging me for a while now. As I'm about to start using Creatine, I was wondering a certain thing.

I take my protein powder to the gym with me, which I mix with what's left of my water, right outside the gym immediately after I finish my workout. Now, would it be a good idea to mix my Creatine in with my protein powder and drink it with the water straight after my workout OR wait until I get home and have it with the usual Grape juice?

I know Grape juice is said to be the best thing to take Creatine with, which I have no problem with. But I was just wondering if it would be better to have it with my protein drink because it is immediately after my workout, when my muslces are at their most spent stage. Would the 15 minute drive home make that much difference, just so that I could have it with Grape juice? Lol. Does it make much difference how soon AFTER a workout to take Creatine? Immediately, within 30 minutes etc.

Alternatively, I could take a bottle of water AND a bottle of Grape juice to the gym with me, and make 2 seperate drinks immediately after my workout.

I guess it comes down to either having it at the ideal time (Directly after workout), or taking it with the ideal drink (Grape juice). Even though the time difference would only be 15 minutes or so lol. I could as I said, do both and take Grape juice with me, but I'd rather just take the one drink.

Alternatively I could be making a big deal out of nothing and otherthinking this whole process. As there probably isn't much difference in either! But I like to do things the best possible way! Lol.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I've never heard of that bit about grape juice. Either way, the time that you take creatine doesn't matter one bit. It's such a long term substance that takes quite a while to finally get into your system (as opposed to protein which is fast-acting and fairly acute), so you can take it with breakfast, lunch, dinner, before your workout, or after. Doesn't make a difference.

I've never heard of that bit about grape juice. Either way, the time that you take creatine doesn't matter one bit. It's such a long term substance that takes quite a while to finally get into your system (as opposed to protein which is fast-acting and fairly acute), so you can take it with breakfast, lunch, dinner, before your workout, or after. Doesn't make a difference.

Thank you very much, good sir!

I did a fair amount of research before taking Creatine, and the majority of my findings were that taking Creatine with Grape juice is the best drink to take it with, due to Grape juice giving you an insulin spike, which allows the Creatine to be absorbed into your muscles quicker than most other drinks. But this is all just information I have heard so if I am wrong then do forgive me, I have no personal information to go by. I'm brand new to Creatine and was just trying to do a lil homeowrk before starting :). Not to mention I'm a dumb-ass half the time and do get things wrong lol!

Well providing that it isn't essential for me to take Creatine directly after my workout, then I shall wait until I get home before taking it. And just stick to having my protein shake right outside the gym. Thank you very much :D

Regards.

I saw that you already have posted a response, but just to clear things up... It doesn't matter when you take Creatine. The point of supplementing Creatine is that you are over saturating your body's Creatine supplies. You need to take it on a DAILY basis in order to keep your levels full. Don't think of it as a pre or post workout supplement. Try to think of it more as a multivitamin (something you just need to take consistently every day in order for it to work).

Also, don't put too much emphasis on the expected "results" from Creatine. Keep in mind that it isn't a steroid. It's just a supplement that can help your body extend it's physical capabilities. Just add it into your diet and train on!

I've heard you should make sure it dissolves into the liquid to get the most out of it. Otherwise it won't get absorbed properly.

Thing to remember with creatine, at it's core it's an energy supplement, but only when training at the absolute max, far from a steroid. So if marathon james is training for marathons, he is unlikely to get benefit unless he is doing hard intervals. Where power-lifters would get benefit.
We have three energy systems.
Aerobic - literally lasts a life time, needs steady supply of oxygen and fuel, the need to stop activity in this zone will come down to lack of fuel hypoglycaemia or muscular fatigue. This can take a few minutes to start up properly.
Anaerobic - lactic acid is the result of burning glucose without oxygen and this system comes to an end when you get stitch, concentrated lactic acid build up in core locations. If using this alone you will likely get a couple of minutes at most, many get this later because they have been trying to go too intense on aerobic and the lactic acid has built up slowly. This takes a few seconds to start up properly.
Phosphocreatine system - This is what you use to run out of the door if a bear comes through your window, and what you use to do other more common activities that demand energy too fast for the other two, like standing up from a seated position, something taking less than a second. It has a very short life span, usually around 10 seconds and is why sprinters often look shattered after a short explosive burst of activity.

A marathon runner will use a couple of seconds of creatine at take-off, some anaerobic while the aerobic system gets started, but from then on will not use creatine at all unless there is a really dramatic finish. No point in supplementing.
Toning training where you are performing high reps at moderate intensity until you tire, will again only use creatine while giving your anaerobic system time to start.
Creatine is only useful as a supplement if you are giving blood sweat and tears for a few reps, or seconds then collapsing in a heap while you recover.

There is a lot of hype about this aiding to retain water in the muscle. This is true to an extent, but if it is your reason for taking it, you will be disappointed by how little additional water gets held and very much missing the point.

I have likely told you a lot you already knew, sorry if so, but I have encountered many who don't get the point of this supplement. As far as what to take it in or when. The difference is minimal, you may cause some delay, or miss a few micrograms but less than you would get with variance of spoonfuls. If the creatine phosphate is in the muscle when you need it, it won't matter how long it took to get there.

I would reccomend Creatine MagnaPower. It's creatine bonded to magnesium which prevents it from converting to creatinine in your stoamch acid. It's also 8% elemental magnesium so each 1000 mg will yeild 80 mg og mgnesium. Magnesium is essentional for producing ATP.

I would second Creatine Magnapower, and raise you a Creatine HCl. Creatine HCl is one of the best forms of creatine I have found because there is not saturation needed and it bypasses the gut and is used immediately by the muscles.

There is absolutely zero evidence that HCl is more readily used by the body than monohydrate. And there's no such thing as bypassing the gut. The gut is where absorption of, well, everything takes place.

I think no issue with the intake of Creatine, i take it with water exactly after the workout.

Back