Am I doing too much?

Tysonlad

SW : 200 | CW: 150 | 5’2”
right now I’m consuming 1200 calories and burning 500 every day. Is this too much? I don’t want my metabolism to slow and all that so I wanted to make sure what I’m doing now won’t have negative consequences in the end.

SW : 200 | CW: 150 | 5’2”
right now I’m consuming 1200 calories and burning 500 every day. Is this too much? I don’t want my metabolism to slow and all that so I wanted to make sure what I’m doing now won’t have negative consequences in the end.
To clarify 500 burned through exercise

Hey Tyson, welcome!

It does sound like a pretty aggressive plan, so maybe, but without knowing more about you and your goals it is a bit hard to say.

I suggest you start a diary on the diary page (Weight Loss Diary ) and tell us more about yourself and your goals. That should get you more attention and good support and advice.

I can tell you that I lost a lot of weight on an aggressive diet, but did slow my metabolism more than I realized. Or I think I did anyway. Long story short I'd probably do it differently if I had it to do over. Not that I would want that, LOL.

Best of luck to you!

1200 kcal/day when you're working out an hour every day is low even at 5'2, unless you're quite advanced in age. How much are you losing each week?

1200 kcal/day when you're working out an hour every day is low even at 5'2, unless you're quite advanced in age. How much are you losing each week?
I’ve been losing about 1.5/week since January but it has recently stopped, maybe due to water retention but I’m not sure

I’ve been losing about 1.5/week since January but it has recently stopped, maybe due to water retention but I’m not sure
Ok, 1.5 lbs a week since January is pretty impressive, congratulations! But it definitely means your metabolism has slowed down, if only because there is now less of you to go around and burn energy. No way to fully avoid that, although there are probably differences in magnitude. How long have you been plateauing? If it´s just a couple of weeks I´d say keep going as you are. Plateaus happen.

Ok, 1.5 lbs a week since January is pretty impressive, congratulations! But it definitely means your metabolism has slowed down, if only because there is now less of you to go around and burn energy. No way to fully avoid that, although there are probably differences in magnitude. How long have you been plateauing? If it´s just a couple of weeks I´d say keep going as you are. Plateaus happen.
I dropped like 4 pounds within 3-4 days after coming back from a vacation for about three weeks without tracking calories or weighing myself. I came back 2 lbs lighter than I left. After I hit a low of 150.2 I went up to 151.8 and it’s stayed around 153 for 7 days.

Sounds like water fluctuations to me. Give it another 10 days and I'd expect you to start losing again now that you're back in your "normal" rhythm

I agree with LaMa. I have had a couple 2 week plateaus where I then suddenly lost a bigger amount. They are very frustrating, but changing things up doesn't often help.

If an accurate count,* your calorie deficit is probably getting close to the maximum you can maintain without your body cannibalizing lean tissue. If you want to strive for this maximum amount:

First estimate your body fat percentage: Body Fat Calculator (e.g. based on your bmi, you might have a body fat percent of 34% but this is an inaccurate estimate)​

Then multiply that percent times your body weight to find how many pounds of fat you are carrying (e.g. 150 lb x 0.34 = 51 lb of body fat)​

Then multiply that by 20 to see your maximum daily calorie deficit (e.g. 51 x 20 = 1020 calories).​

Then estimate your resting metabolic rate: BMR Calculator (e.g. a 25 y/o 5'2" female weighing 150 pounds probably burns about 1650 calories in a sedentary lifestyle)​

Finally add your exercise to your RMR and subtract your maximum calorie deficit to find your daily calorie target (e.g. 1650 BMR + 500 exercise - 1020 max deficit = 1130 minimum calorie consumption​

You'll have to keep doing this calculation over and over because your maximum deficit will decrease as you lose fat. Alternatively, you could just aim for a daily deficit of 500 which would be much slower, but you probably won't ever lose too much. Either way, make sure to do some strength training in your exercise to encourage your body to keep rebuilding/maintaining your muscles.

Last edited:
Back