Advice?

i wear his ring

I would appreciate any and all help for me to get the best results from working out my body. :) I have been pursuing exercise and weight loss since Septemberish. I have lost 14 pounds. I started at 180 and I am now 166. My goal was 150 but I think I might go lower than that to achieve a healthy size. I'm not sure yet. ETA: I'm 5' 10" and 20 years old.

1. I have not been dedicated enough to making changes in my nutrition that last. I regret this but I am coming clean right now wanting to fix this for the best. I do well for a few days at a time - maybe a week or two at a time. But then I slip up and I go downhill from there and it takes me a bit to get it right again. It’s just a stupid cycle.

I made some goals yesterday to help me with this. Burn 600 calories 5-6 times a week through cardio (elliptical, treadmill, bike, stairclimber). Work out legs on Paramount machine 3-4 times a week (extension, press, curl, kickbacks, calf raises, adductor, abductor) 12-15 reps and 3-4 sets. (I have only been working my legs for a couple weeks now...my gym has full equipment for back, arms and shoulders. I just haven't learned/started those yet.)

I was thinking I would eat 1200 calories a day this week. 1400 a day next week. 1300 a day the third week. And 1500 a day the fourth week. I am trying to plan on a month schedule to motivate myself longer term. *smile* I don’t know if my numbers are appropriate or not so please feel free to ask any questions or suggest anything.

Anyhow. That’s about where I am. I measured this morning to keep better track of my size and goals. I also use Tae Bo and TurboJam when I can. Most usual foods: Cheerios, Wheaties, turkey/provolone/wheat sandwiches, carrots, romaine, chicken breasts, chef Boyardee cups, 100 calorie snack packs, eggs (rare)….

Any suggestions? Critique? Advice? I would love the help. Please be nice. ;) I'm here to learn. Thank you!

I swear this will be as painless as possible;)

I would appreciate any and all help for me to get the best results from working out my body. :) I have been pursuing exercise and weight loss since Septemberish. I have lost 14 pounds. I started at 180 and I am now 166. My goal was 150 but I think I might go lower than that to achieve a healthy size. I'm not sure yet. ETA: I'm 5' 10" and 20 years old.

Have you been in a constant deficit since Sept. or have you had moments where you ate higher calories for a while. If so that is fine or good even. If not then you may need to take a week off and eat in at maintenance to reset your system a little. As far as your ideal weight for 5'10 I would say 140-150 is a very healthy and realistic goal.

1. I have not been dedicated enough to making changes in my nutrition that last. I regret this but I am coming clean right now wanting to fix this for the best. I do well for a few days at a time - maybe a week or two at a time. But then I slip up and I go downhill from there and it takes me a bit to get it right again. It’s just a stupid cycle.

It takes time so don't beat yourself up. You need to get organized and not deprive yourself. These are the things that lead to binges.

I made some goals yesterday to help me with this. Burn 600 calories 5-6 times a week through cardio (elliptical, treadmill, bike, stairclimber). Work out legs on Paramount machine 3-4 times a week (extension, press, curl, kickbacks, calf raises, adductor, abductor) 12-15 reps and 3-4 sets. (I have only been working my legs for a couple weeks now...my gym has full equipment for back, arms and shoulders. I just haven't learned/started those yet.)

You need to do full body compound exercises. Kickbacks are a worthless exercise. Leg curls on a machine, same thing. Those are all isolated exercises, you can't spot reduce. Work your full body. You wont get bulky and it will burn more calories during and AFTER your workout.

I was thinking I would eat 1200 calories a day this week. 1400 a day next week. 1300 a day the third week. And 1500 a day the fourth week. I am trying to plan on a month schedule to motivate myself longer term. *smile* I don’t know if my numbers are appropriate or not so please feel free to ask any questions or suggest anything.

Don't bounce calories week by week. Bounce them day by day. I wouldn't recommend hitting 1200. With your stats bouncing 1400-1700 with a solid workout program will be PLENTY to knock the fat off. I would binge out too if that was all the food I was getting.

Anyhow. That’s about where I am. I measured this morning to keep better track of my size and goals. I also use Tae Bo and TurboJam when I can. Most usual foods: Cheerios, Wheaties, turkey/provolone/wheat sandwiches, carrots, romaine, chicken breasts, chef Boyardee cups, 100 calorie snack packs, eggs (rare)….

You need to grasp what good food to take in. Read this article, at the end you will know.

John Berardi - Lean Eatin' Part I
John Berardi - Lean Eatin' Part II

Also her is how to structure and organize your plan of attack. Cant get there if it is all over the place.

In short your diet detail should look something like this (not this exact foods mind you but structure.)

Sample Diet

Meal One:

* 4 egg white/one yolk
* ½ cup oatmeal (measured raw)
* 1/4 cup strawberries

Meal Two:

* 1.5 cups shredded lettuce
* ½ tomatoes
* ¼ onions
* ½ cup cooked brown rice
* 5 ounces chicken breast shredded

Meal Three:

* 4 ounces chicken breast
* 1 cup greens (salad greens)
* ¼ salsa
* 1 cup apple

Meal Four:

* 4 ounces salmon
* 1 cup broccoli
* ½ cup cooked brown rice

Meal Five:

* Protein powder
* ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
* 4 or 5 almonds crushed and sprinkled in

Your Routine is the same thing. You need more of a focus on weight training, you wont get bulky cause you are in a deficit. A Full Body routine 3 days a week is best at your point. Compound exercises, 6-8 exercises in 3 sets at 10-12 reps a set. Squats, Lunges, Rows, large multi joint movers here. Also you seem to be in decent cardiovascular shape so throw in some HIIT.

Sample Routine

Mon-Full Body
Tues-Aerobic Training
Wed-Full Body
Thurs-Aerobic Training
Fri-Full Body
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest

If your diet is in check, no guesstimating and you are push it to the limit on your training the weight will fall off. If you are disorganized and kind of just go at it, you will get spotty results.

Good Luck.

Ha Well of course it depends but 130 (from your ticker there) is certainly a healthy and reachable goal.

It just all depends on how low someone wants their body fat in their mind. I personally NUMBER wise am much higher than you would think because I focus a lot on lean muscle mass. I am 5'5 and weigh 130 right now but "look" smaller than some who weighs 120. I don't do the skinny fat thing, but I also don't do the bodybuilder thing either on myself. I like femme but with a slight definition.
It is to each their own and you will basically know it when you see it.

I swear this will be as painless as possible;)
*grin* That's what I was hoping for.
Have you been in a constant deficit since Sept. or have you had moments where you ate higher calories for a while. If so that is fine or good even. If not then you may need to take a week off and eat in at maintenance to reset your system a little. As far as your ideal weight for 5'10 I would say 140-150 is a very healthy and realistic goal.
Nooo. I have been trying to get 1200 for a couple weeks now but it was incredibly varied before that. So I'm not worried about being structured now.
You need to do full body compound exercises. Kickbacks are a worthless exercise. Leg curls on a machine, same thing. Those are all isolated exercises, you can't spot reduce. Work your full body. You wont get bulky and it will burn more calories during and AFTER your workout.
Oookay. I'm not worried about getting bulky. My legs have been feeling stronger and I'm lifting more with them. Are there negative sides to continuing to work them? Full body compound exercises...that involve the whole body and not specific muscles?
Don't bounce calories week by week. Bounce them day by day. I wouldn't recommend hitting 1200. With your stats bouncing 1400-1700 with a solid workout program will be PLENTY to knock the fat off. I would binge out too if that was all the food I was getting.
I'm sure I can deal with doing a couple hundred more. *wink* I was so unsure if I was doing right - I just knew that I had to keep numbers at something. I did 1200 yesterday and maybe I'll do 1400 today and go up to 1700 on days after that? Just adjusting each day? I'm reading those articles you posted - thank you!
Your Routine is the same thing. You need more of a focus on weight training, you wont get bulky cause you are in a deficit. A Full Body routine 3 days a week is best at your point. Compound exercises, 6-8 exercises in 3 sets at 10-12 reps a set. Squats, Lunges, Rows, large multi joint movers here. Also you seem to be in decent cardiovascular shape so throw in some HIIT.
I will plan out some of these to do.

HIIT - I read through another thread in this Harsh Truth forum at this so I will try it tonight. I basically understand: walk for a minute, sprint as fast as possible for 45-60 seconds, walk for a minute, sprint again. Is that all?

Thank you for the advice! Any more from anyone is welcomed.

I tried to do the HIIT tonight. I started by walking brisk for four minutes then 45 seconds of sprint. 1 minute walk - 45 sprint. Sometimes I would take a minute and a half to two minutes of walking at the end. I did the intervals for about 30 minutes. I like it a lot. Definitely needs the rest day but it felt like I was working. I walked for 10 minutes after and did elliptical for 40 minutes.

I don't know if it helps but this has been my intake the last two days:

1/7/07 – 600 cal burned – weights: legs
Cheerios 200
Turkey sand 250
Carrots 38
Caesar 50
2 eggs 140
Smoothie 110
Caesar 60
Croutons 25
Chicken 130
Romaine 15
Cheerios 137
Milk 45
TOTAL 1200

1/8/07 – 600+ calories burned
Cheerios 200
Milk 90
Burritos 300
Popcorn 240
Chicken 130
Romaine 15
Protein 120
Fruit 110
Caesar 55
Croutons 25
Cheerios 100
Total 1385

The fruit smoothies are just ice, strawberries, peaches, grapes and melon. Tonight I added protein which was great.

You've gotten great advice so far! Good words Leigh.

To the OP, have you tried signing up for something like fitday? Sure, calories are the main driver of success. Simply being in a deficit isn't optimal though. It would be a lot easier if you also figured out how many grams of proteins, fats, and carbs you are taking in as well. Fitday can do this for you.

Leigh provided you with a great diet there. I would try to get close to that and substitute foods with similar macronutrient breakdowns for variety.

To the OP, have you tried signing up for something like fitday? Sure, calories are the main driver of success. Simply being in a deficit isn't optimal though. It would be a lot easier if you also figured out how many grams of proteins, fats, and carbs you are taking in as well. Fitday can do this for you.

Leigh provided you with a great diet there. I would try to get close to that and substitute foods with similar macronutrient breakdowns for variety.
I'll work on that latter part. I have thought about fitday before I just find it a lot faster to keep a log myself. I can start tracking protein, fat and carbs though! I am trying to eat at/from home so the numbers are usually available. Thanks!

Back